Sax on the Web Forum banner

Do you think that Mark VI "thing" is real?.

• Yes

Votes: 68 60.7%
  • Not

Votes: 44 39.3%
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think the Mark VI "thing" does exist?.
If so, please explain what is that "thing" for you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Mark VIs can be great playing saxophones and can give a player some kind of spiritual connection (comfort, validation,etc.) to their idol who also plays/played one. Otherwise, it's just another tool for making music -- just like a great playing Y*S23.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
It's a unique sound and feel that makes a Mark VI what it is.

Some people love it, some people don't, others may like it but like something else even more, and some people apparently can't even distinguish it from any number of other horns. Often copied but never duplicated, it remains the benchmark for most saxophones on the market today.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
It must be VI Thread Season. And Yes there is a Mark VI thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I look forward to high school resuming fall session...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
I hold in my hand the Mark VI thing. As a child of four can plainly see, it has been hermetically sealed in a #2 mayonnaise jar under Funk and Wagnall's porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of the Mark VI thing, but I, in my borderline divine and mystical way, will ascertain it's nature having never before having played one. :)

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
It's a unique sound and feel that makes a Mark VI what it is.

Some people love it, some people don't, others may like it but like something else even more, and some people apparently can't even distinguish it from any number of other horns. Often copied but never duplicated, it remains the benchmark for most saxophones on the market today.
/End of thread.

This should be made an entry in the Oxford dictionary or something...

·
2,319 Posts
I've noticed a certain singing/sweet aspect to the sound of not only my Mark VI tenor but also in a '36 Balanced Action alto. I first noticed it when I bought the VI coming off of my Yamaha YTS 61. I don't have that on my '50 Buescher Aristocrat 156, '53 The Martin or '29 Martin Handcraft. Each of those have their strong points, incidently, and I usually play the The Martin as my main horn because of its big, wide ballsy tone I need for the music I usually play. But there is definately a certain quality/ musical / singing overtone thing (hard to describe) that I notice when playing those two Selmer horns.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I've owned and played many MKVI things. Of course they exist. So do the Conn things.
Yes indeed. There's a MKVI 'thing' and a Conn 'thing' and a Buescher 'thing' and probably a Yamaha 'thing' also. It's just a matter of which 'thing' you want and what you do with it.

I really like the 'thing' on my VI tenor and also the 'thing' on my Bueschers. They aren't the same thing, but they are both something!

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
WARNING: The following is an opinion. No actual documentation was used to form this conclusion. No actual facts were damaged upon forming this opinion either.

There is absolutely a "Mark VI Thing". This "thing" is not better or worse than a conn "thing" or Yamaha "thing" or any other brand's "thing".

At best we can call this "Mark VI Thing", "popular". Popular, because the mark VI was the 1st properly marketed saxophone with advanced mechanics. It plainly felt better under the fingers than most saxophones before it.

I am fairly certain the best science of the day was used to design the bore and tone hole placement.

I am not certain science went into deciding how to make brass that was going to resonate a certain way.

By keeping a certain bore design and tone hole placement, you got the stereotypical "selmer sound".

My next question is why did players between 1954 and approx 1960 (the early days of the mark VI craze) choose them? Was it the mechanics that attracted them followed by a decent sound? Or was the sound the main attraction? I choose to believe it was the mechanics. Having a good sound was icing in the cake.

So, lets pretend it is 1956, and now you got a sax you like the feel of that has a good sound........now what? I know what I would do.... PLAY IT!.

Through that, certain characteristically mark vi attributes begin to be noticed. Hey it's the 1950's!!! EVERYBODY starts to hear saxes on the radio.

Voila .... the Mark VI sound and all it's specific innuendos become paradigm.

Now comes my personal, justification for my story.

For 15 years I played a 1929 chu alto. My reputation as a player in the Hudson Valley was built on me playing the horn. I knew that if I sat in a section of selmers, I had a slightly different vibe happening.....but that was ok. Pitch was good. Tone was pleasing. Anything they could play, so could I. I always wondered why I couldn't sound like the concept in my head .....ESPECIALLY when it came to modern popular music. Then a VI fell into my hands about a year ago while I was playing a 3 week stint of "the wedding singer". I brought it to the 3rd rehearsal and magically the horn was making good on the tonal concept in my head regarding a modern sax sound.

I believe that you can't make a conn SOUND like a selmer but you can make them both sound like a saxophone.

Sounding like a saxophonist needs to be achieved before worrying about how to achieve a certain "sound" or "vibe" or even "thing"

Having the Tool is not as important as knowing how to use it. However once you know how to use it, the correct tool becomes necessary.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mark VI is a Religion !

·
Registered
238 Posts

Having the Tool is not as important as knowing how to use it. However once you know how to use it, the correct tool becomes necessary.
Perfect !

·
3,287 Posts
The Mark VI thing? doesn't seem to exist in my Mark VI too much or in many Mark VI comparisons that I've heard like this for example

Conn 6M "viii" vs. Couf Superba 1 vs. Mark VI

http://www.worldwidesax.com/altos.htm

http://www.worldwidesax.com/saxophone_comparison_chart.htm

I think the thing? exists but it exists mostly on reputation and expectation mostly imparted by some great players who had things?.

It really takes a great player for the thing? to exist and the thing? can exist in a lot of different saxes depending mostly on the player.

I saw Eugene Rousseau play and the thing? existed in his Yamaha.

The action and feel on my Mark VI is probably the best I have played though.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts