Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, and given how dumb it might seem, perhaps it's also my last. But here goes: I noticed (at least I think I did) that certain musical phrases (licks, lines, motifs, etc.) that I like from sax players don't sound as good on the trumpet, for example, or piano... and vice-versa. I believe that this has to do with the sound of the phrase that is particular to the instrument on which it is played, not necessarily the pitch or key or mechanics of the instrument. In other words, some phrases seem "made" for a particular instrument. So, it occurred to me that the particularly instrument itself (for me it's the saxophone, obviously) influences the improvisation above-and-beyond the jazz theory I learned -- I think I go after phrases that are saxophone-specific, so to speak, although the same phrases could certainly be played on many instruments. But for me much of it has been unconscious / subconscious. Now I'm starting to think that if I played the trumpet (again, just an example) that the specific notes and phrases I play in my improvisations would be noticeably different, even those solos that fall within the ranges of both instruments. My question is whether this is something obvious and makes perfect sense, or am I just imagining things and should keep my trap shut? (Or both!)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts