Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the middle of a delimma here. I purchased a C-Melody Saxophone 2 days ago. It is a Selmer New York (Serial Number 68***). I have taken it to a couple of repair shops and they have estimated that it will cost me between 500-1000 to fix the instrument (all the instrument needs to be opened, the pads changed, and the instrument has to be completely refurbished).

My delimma is whether to do it or not. I just don't know whether the instrument would worth enough to spend that much on it. Apparantly, Selmer has contracted companies like Buscher or Conn to make odd instruments such as C-Melody. When I showed it to repair shops around town, they told me its very similar to a Conn in terms of how it was made.

What should I do?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
Yeah, early Selmers can be Conn stencils. Might be worth only a couple hundred bucks even after you fix it up, so I wouldn't go into it as a money making venture. If you want to play a C melody saxophone on the other hand... I'd look for a cheaper repair shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Grumps. I kind of like the sound of it. I only bought it for 380 and I was going to play it with my band. I am a flute player originally, so its not that difficult for me to switch to a C-Melody. I have gone to every shop in this town (Vancouver, Canada) and they gave me quotes above 500. So at this point, I am kind of disappointed.

·
25,982 Posts
If you're mechanically inclined, there's plenty of help on the site. It's actually not uncommon for folks to learn horn repair on C melody saxohones. And $380? Is there a return or trial period? I'd get a refund if you're able.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts

·
25,982 Posts
Cool. The design of the instrument that I have is pretty much like this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CONN-C-MELODY-S...046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adcf48d06
And that horn will never sell for that price, and probaby not even for a quarter of it. Now that you know that you'll have to put in another few hundred bucks to get your horn playing, get your refund before it's too late. If you really want a decent C melody saxophone at a good price that's ready to play, I'd post an ad in the Marketplace here asking for same. There are also plenty of C melody saxophone enthusiasts in the C Melody section of the forum who could steer you to better deals.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Grumps said it all.
Although C-melodies can be a lot of fun to play (I can see how a flute player would easily play a C-sax), they are not worth a lot of money.
You can return this one and find a better deal here or on e-bay. For e-bay you should always figure that it will take some investment to make it fully playable, even for the ones that are described as "ready to play" or "playable".
You and also try to see if you can get a better deal on fixing this one with the techs here on this site. Hornfixer did my Buescher gold plated C (and put it in a DVD on how to do a snap-in C). His work is very good, and it might be more affordable, even with shipping costs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts