Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've regained interest in learning the sax after 8 years of living in blissful ignorance (I blame the 3 B's ;) ) and came across an excellent teacher who has given me everything I need to get me on my way! I found this site by accident (it's pretty well hidden I have to say!), and decided, against all the sound 'sticky' advice of the veterans and moderators to post a question. Please forgive me...

So here's the thing, I've started again on the Trevor James Horn Rev II. I use no.2 Rico reeds all the time and the mouth piece is whatever came with the sax. I was enjoying the TJ when the rods started sqeaking (brand new!) so my teacher gave me a new yamaha 275.

My question is very simple; longevity-wise, does anyone have an idea of which would be 'better'? To my untrained ear they sound similar (the TJ is bit more mellow to my ears), are priced similar (the black lacquer with black keys TJ is the same price as the yamaha) and both feel fine. However the biggest factor for me is durability. I'd love to hear from people who have had good or bad experiences from either. I'm aware that the 275 is reknowned as an excellent student sax at the very least. Anyone got anything to say about the TJ?

Thanks for reading my unnecessarily long post and by the way, MY 3 B's for those who are interested are Birds, Booze and Being a lazy 'Fatherless Boy' :twisted:

Cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,342 Posts
Try oiling it once in a while!

Take a look at the short screw that hold the rods on place....if they are real point screws the squeaks can be adjusted out and its a sign that the horn was made with a long life in mind...Im pretty sure the Yamaha will have real point screw, with a sharp(>) profile rather than pseudo points with a slightly curved profile. I dont know about the TJ? They are said to be good horns too.

All things being equal go for the one you like the sound of best...its has to maintain your interest to keep playing, without that it doesnt matter how long it lasts mechanically.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts