Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I wanted to learn the Tenor. So I bought one. Now, 10 years later I look across the room to 4 horns sitting there. I never really set out to 'collect' them, they were just shiny (2 soprano's, an alto and the original tenor, I don't have a bari, yet).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gear Aquisition Syndrome. eg. GAS
we all have it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
Well, it depends, some of us do that. I own several horns. The amount varies because I buy them , keep them for a while, sell some on, keep other ones.
The buying and selling serves the purpose to both finance my hobby (so my wife cannot complain about wasting money! :bluewink: ) and giving me the chance to see many more saxophones than most players would have ever seen.

·
38,878 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I do, as discretionary income permits. My problem is that I don't really want to let any of them go!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Other than the cheap soprano I thought I need once in a while, I use all the horns I own. I have 1 alto, 1 tenor, 1 flute, and 1 clarinet. I don't look to replace them either. Once I've got one, it's my horn.

Now mouthpieces are a different story.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
I only purchase a new to me horn when I need it more often than 'borrowing' will allow.
The only horn on my list that I know I'll have to get sooner or later is a bass clarinet.
Maybe a soprano sax, but I use the bass more often in the pit.

·
187 Posts
Some of us moreso than others probably.

I got my first horn (an Antigua soprano - since traded) eleven years ago and currently am the proud possessor of some twenty-two saxes - from soprillo through bass with all too many in between. I love them all, I play them all, they bring me joy and are shiny, beautiful, pearls beyond price.

Given our current economic situation, and my penchant for rationalization, I consider them to be my 'Krugerrands' – better, even, 'cause you can't play "Melancholy Baby" on a gold coin.

·
Registered
389 Posts
After a lot of years away from playing any instrument, I decided to learn guitar. My wife and son are musicians and I have a somewhat shrunken talent, so what the hell, get a guitar. Over about 2 years I bought and sold at least a dozen guitars - classical, acoustic-electric, electric, expensive and some not so expensive. As I sit in my living room, I look at the two remaining guitars, gathering dust. They sure are pretty though.

So, since the guitar and I didn't get along so well, I thought I'd get back into saxophone. How hard could it be, I thought? I took lessons many years ago from Harvey LaRose (Phil Wood's first instructor), in Springfield, MA. High school band, American Legion band, a couple saloon gigs. Got pretty good at it too. Then I joined the U.S. Marine Corps. The end of music for years.

After the great guitar failure, I began the search for a horn, first for a grandson, then for myself. In no particular order I bought and sold or traded, a Cecilio tenor, an LA Sax alto, a Conn USA (1970) tenor, a Leblanc Vito tenor, 2 YAS23 altos, a Selmer A500 alto, an extremely nice Jules Revan alto that I should have kept, an Olds Parisian tenor, a really nice Jupiter 767 alto and a Selmer USA tenor. Of all those, I still have the Selmer tenor and a 1923 silver plate Buescher soprano that I bought for my son 30 years ago.

Wanna talk about buy/sell? There ya go. I realize several of those horns are crap - the Cecilio for example, but some of the others were pretty good horns. The best one I bought was a 50's King Zephyr alto that I gave to my grandson. I'm now looking for a Buescher alto, late 40's to early 50's that's in good shape. I bought all those horns simply because I hadn't a clue as to what's "hot" and what's not. I knew about the MkVI because I bought one for my son about 30 years ago, along with the afore-mentioned soprano and a nice Yanigasawa tenor (he still has the Mark and the Yani.)

So here I am, searching the Bay and Craigslist daily, looking for the "perfect" Buescher, like the one I had so many years ago. The stuff on the Bay is either wickedly overpriced or junk. Too bad all that stuff is not Buy It Now/Make Offer. That way I'd know what the seller wants and if I can afford it.

Still have those two guitars though - wonder if I can make a swap? GAS anybody?

·
38,878 Posts
The road to hell is paved with good intentions

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd have more if I had some disposable income left over.

I've had 3 altos over the years... first a Conn I got in ~1970 or 71, used it for ~ 4 years and began using my band director's 5 digit Mark VI. Then rented my current Mark VI from a guy who graduated a year ahead of me, eventually buying it outright for $500 ~1978. The Buescher was handed down from my Grandfather through one of my uncles.

I'd love to have at least a tenor in my stable, but I just loaded the first of 3 kids into college. :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
So here I am, searching the Bay and Craigslist daily, looking for the "perfect" Buescher, like the one I had so many years ago. The stuff on the Bay is either wickedly overpriced or junk. Too bad all that stuff is not Buy It Now/Make Offer. That way I'd know what the seller wants and if I can afford it.
Will this do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Buescher-Big-B-Tenor-Sax-Original-Case-Candy-/110703366097

Not mine - I've just been watching it, willing the seller to take my lowball bid.

I've a feeling that I'm not getting this one too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buescher-400-Top-Hat-Gold-Plated-Tenor-Saxophone-/300565547830

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
Will this do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Buescher-Big-B-Tenor-Sax-Original-Case-Candy-/110703366097

Not mine - I've just been watching it, willing the seller to take my lowball bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Buescher-400-Top-Hat-Gold-Plated-Tenor-Saxophone-/300565547830
Wow, to both of those. Dr G, so you have a bid on that 'Crat? Maybe you shouldn't have put the link up here, lol. I wish you luck and hope you get it. Looks like a great horn. So does that gold-plated TH&C.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Will this do?

Nice but I'm looking at altos. Good luck.

Sadly, I've found that people selling horns on the Bay all to often don't have a clue as to relative value. There was a Buescher Aristocrat alto, ca 1970's that a guy offered a BIN deal starting at $595, BIN $750. I wrote the guy and told him to take a look at what those are selling for on the Bay. He sold it for $295.

The other thing that's galling is the ridiculous shipping charges. USPS ships altos, in the case for about $20 - $25. UPS and FedEx are higher but still, stating $60+ to ship is ridiculous. Of course its caveat emptor in all cases. If a buyer wants to pay $750 for a $250 horn plus another $60 shipping, well, that's his red wagon to pull

One of the good things about Craigslist is there's no shipping. Second is, you can actually lay hands upon the horn. Ebay is for the most part a crap shoot. Not knocking it, just saying . . .

·
2,597 Posts
The buying and selling serves the purpose to both finance my hobby (so my wife cannot complain about wasting money!) and giving me the chance to see many more saxophones.
Same here (for tenor and tenor mouthpieces). With vintage horns, if I purchase carefully, I can usually sell them for what I paid, which helps. I try to keep it to two tenors, which is what I have now. I have one alto and one clarinet, and haven't done the GAS thing for them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts