Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The trio I play with has went through at least a half dozen bass players in the last few years- the bass players are mostly upright. Is there a solution?

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Keep looking. I've almost never had a problem with bass players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I’ve been blessed with great bass players over the last 30 years. No issues there.

Don’t get me started about trumpet players... :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
<repeat deleted>

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
On the contrary. I find that most drummers I work with drag. It's the bass players who I take aside and say "please stay on top" and usually, the problem is solved. Sonja, are you talking about playing straight-ahead stuff, or more contemporary? Just curious. If time is the only issue with bass players, I'd simply (and as kindly as possible) tell them to please be aware of staying more on top of the beat. If that doesn't work, I guess bass player number 7 awaits!

John

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Get a New Orleans slap bassist — or even a rockabilly guy… Problem solved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Its a really hard job to sustain the time, harmony. Thats why a drum bass rythm section works so well, they are a unit. I have experienced a lot of drag in bass players but I dont blame them really....its pretty hard though when the song is clearly slower when the tune ends

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the contrary. I find that most drummers I work with drag. It's the bass players who I take aside and say "please stay on top" and usually, the problem is solved. Sonja, are you talking about playing straight-ahead stuff, or more contemporary? Just curious. If time is the only issue with bass players, I'd simply (and as kindly as possible) tell them to please be aware of staying more on top of the beat. If that doesn't work, I guess bass player number 7 awaits!

John
Straight ahead stuff, and just a trio, no drummer. It may be that most of the bass players in the more rural area where I live are electric bass players trying to play upright. A couple of them did OK I thought but my 84 y.o. guitar player gets really demanding about it. There's nothing worse than a trio with the guitar player kind of battling time with the bass player.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
We’ve all been there! It is torturous. I personally like a bass player who stays on top of the beat and drives everything. Not rushed, but driving.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
The New Orleans' clarinetist, George Lewis, had in his band a string-bass player named Alcide "Slow Drag" Pavageaux (sp?) but he sure didn't drag things down.

I had to laugh at Mike T's post. There's a gal in SoCal who plays banjo and string bass, Katie Cavera, who is a marvelous "slap" bass player. What a joy to play in a band with Katie. DAVE

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I rarely play in drum-less groups so that may be a bit different but my experience has been one of the bass & drums speeding up more often than slowing down.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I play tenor laid back much of the time (some call it behind the beat). I have to tell the rhythm section to play on the beat or slightly in front and not to follow my time. When they start adjusting to me, the whole thing drags to a slow crawl. Then they blame me for the drag. They are more rock oriented players and think the time is strictly in one place. I make them listen to Dexter Gordon & Sonny Rollins & Warne Marsh to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I can play any place in the beat, but naturally lay back.
Lenny Tristano pointed out to me that I played behind & asked if I was trying to copy anyone.
When I said I wasn't, he said "then that's ok". I wish the band would loosen up & relax. When appropriate. Keep looking for the right bass player, you'll find one who knows what he's doing, RM.
George

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Sacks: That WAS weird, alright. I watched the whole thing - those who didn't may have missed the cut-away scenes. Maybe if I read Japanese (I'm guessing that was the language shown), I'd have a better understanding of what was intended by this video.

I thought that whoever the bass player was, that he/she did a good job of playing the thing, even though I am NOT a fan of electric guitar-basses (or anything amplified for that matter) AND assuming it was really being played in the video and not just a "lip-synch" thing. Oh well, I certainly wouldn't want that in my band. DAVE

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Sacks: That WAS weird, alright. I watched the whole thing - those who didn't may have missed the cut-away scenes. Maybe if I read Japanese (I'm guessing that was the language shown), I'd have a better understanding of what was intended by this video.

I thought that whoever the bass player was, that he/she did a good job of playing the thing, even though I am NOT a fan of electric guitar-basses (or anything amplified for that matter) AND assuming it was really being played in the video and not just a "lip-synch" thing. Oh well, I certainly wouldn't want that in my band. DAVE
..........especially not on a wedding gig :faceinpalm: . Congrats, you saw the video as it is; just weird. A Halloween gig is another discussion. Many years ago, I went as a "man in his underwear" while playing. Wouldn't do that now in my 50's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Alcide Slow Drag Pavageau (b.1888, d.1969) was so-called because in his early career as a dancer he was considered to be the master of a dance called (guess what?) the 'Slow Drag'. Only took up bass at 39 - very fine player in the New Orleans style.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts