Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting some engraving done. Does aftermarket engraving create any issues with the finish? The lacquer is obviously compromised.

How is it handled so no corrosion issues are created?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
aftermarket engraving gives a tad more illustrious tone :mrgreen:

If you're concerned with corrosion you can have the engraving spot coated, although much of the beauty of that kind of work is the exposed metal developing a tarnish/oxidation ("patina") to contrast

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to add that its a silver finish, if that makes a difference..

aftermarket engraving gives a tad more illustrious tone :mrgreen:

If you're concerned with corrosion you can have the engraving spot coated, although much of the beauty of that kind of work is the exposed metal developing a tarnish/oxidation ("patina") to contrast

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
it should present less corrosion issues then, since the plating would be far less like to crackle where the graver cuts thru or those surrounding areas. Why don't you ask Jason DuMars? he's one of the most renowned engraving artist (in the world that is) and he's here.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I had Jason Dumars engrave my silver plated alto about 4 years ago and it still looks great. The engraving cuts through the silver plating down to the brass, but a gentle metal polish shines both the silver surface and the brass indentations very nice. I'd say go for it. It creates a nice personal touch to your instrument and makes it unique.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I had Jason Dumars engrave my silver plated alto about 4 years ago and it still looks great. The engraving cuts through the silver plating down to the brass, but a gentle metal polish shines both the silver surface and the brass indentations very nice. I'd say go for it. It creates a nice personal touch to your instrument and makes it unique.
Have you got some pics? I enjoy seeing Jason's work after is has aged . You can really see the detail. I am thinking of sending him a tenor to do.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,111 Posts
Funny thing, I had a Martin soprano stripped of old, bad lacquer and had some engraving added of birds (martins :)). The birds oxidized more than the surrounding bared brass.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Engraving through an existing (standard) finish does not affect it in any way. As was mentioned, the brass will show through on a silver horn and darken over time.

I'll have some time in my schedule for new projects soon, once I am done with these pesky trombones!

Art Deco trombone by jaydumars, on Flickr
I will have another big horn for you to do soon.....

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Considering getting some engraving done. Does aftermarket engraving create any issues with the finish? The lacquer is obviously compromised.

How is it handled so no corrosion issues are created?
It mostly affects the tone. I'm more likely to play it more often, so it tends to sound better as it "matures". :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts