Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen many on the ebay and other sites for sale, I have a bag full of them and was considering disposing of them though thought I would ask before I do save wasting them anyhow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
for reasons that I don’t understand people like the old leather straps and some of the old Selmer old ones.

There seems to be a market for amost anything so try offering them, can’t be too bad.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
You can list for free. If you don’t mind taking photos, listing the items and spending the time to ship them, why not? You don’t get charged if they don’t sell.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
You can list for free. If you don’t mind taking photos, listing the items and spending the time to ship them, why not? You don’t get charged if they don’t sell.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
for reasons that I don’t understand people like the old leather straps and some of the old Selmer old ones.

There seems to be a market for amost anything so try offering them, can’t be too bad.
I like having the original Selmer neck strap in the MVI case. I don't actually use it though. If I didn't have one, I'd fork 10 bucks to have it though. Never know when you might need to do a movie spot, and want to be period correct ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find that sewing a sheepskin wrap around the top gives them a new life. I sew them in a smile curve so when hanging with the curve down on the back of my neck it puts the support below the large upper vertebrae putting support more on my back than pulling on my neck. I use a Consew upholstery sewing machine since my actual real gig is upholstery.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
When I was first learning to play the saxophone, the neck strap was made of leather with a wider portion to go around the back of the neck. The thin leather strap had holes in it like a belt and a small buckle. You found the correct length inserted the pin into the hole and the length was set. You just put it around your neck and you were ready to go.

As a saxophone teacher for many years, I consider these neck straps to be absolutely the best for students who are just learning to play. A common problem younger players have is inconsistency in their tone production. Many of these problems stem from the mouthpiece being inserted into the mouth at a different angle each time the student plays. The fixed length neck strap when adjusted to the proper length by the teacher eliminates that problem. That along with a thick patch atop the mouthpiece with a groove for the top teeth so the student inserts same amount of mouthpiece each time does wonders for a student's consistency of tone and control.

Another advantage of the fixed length neck strap is that it reinforces good posture. Many students set the neck strap too long and then hunch over in their chair to go to the saxophone. A neck strap set to the correct length helps to teach them to bring the saxophone to them, and not the other way around. The only advantage I can see that an adjustable length strap has would be to allow someone who doubles to use the same neck strap on different sizes of saxophones---a scenario that is far removed from a beginning player's experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought one of these Charlie Parker style Brilhart straps in top condition for cheap about two years ago. I love it but only use it when playing with Jacket because they don't feel good on bare skin. But it's still the most elegant strap for alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
Post them for sale here on SOTW. Much better people than ebay and it's a targeted market.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bought one of these Charlie Parker style Brilhart straps in top condition for cheap about two years ago. I love it but only use it when playing with Jacket because they don't feel good on bare skin. But it's still the most elegant strap for alto.
Which kind is it? The one with the leather neck or the tube?

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I also own quite an accumulated collection of these. While the designs are often quite nice, be very careful relying on them to support your prized, heavy tenors and baritones. I've had a few snap and break on me wholly unexpectedly in the past, which is why they remain unused in the drawer now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which kind is it? The one with the leather neck or the tube?
Black neck part (round) with white cord coming out of it and white plastic piece with Brilhart logo print.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great points by saxoclese. If a strap is long enough, I like to tie a knot it it, though it may take a couple of tries to get the length right.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Yep, I only use fixed-length straps on my main instruments. I keep some el cheapos (the dreaded Ray Hyman Deguello Strap, for example) in the gig bag just in case.

The only issue with the fixed length strap is if I (with my long thin neck) hand off my horn and strap to someone with a short thick neck, it will ride up too high and it takes a long time to adjust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts