Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,889 Posts
determining pitch is very important , this is what happens when you play a HP with low pitch instruments

and just for kicks, this is a Adolphe sax sopranino pitches in LP , I am reasonably sure that it is not the same as OP’s but even when in LP this is the sound that can be xpected by ancient instruments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
@lydian: there could be a mechanical problem in the RH stack and the open note could be a C (if the small pad above B is almost closed, the open note will be a sharp and stuffy C).

@milandro: I guess this instrument will never be used in a concert and will remain a curiosity. So, its being (possibly) high pitch is not a serious problem. The owner would be a little bit insane to overhaul it ; if the horn gets sold, it will be very cheap (HP or LP).

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
@lydian: there could be a mechanical problem in the RH stack and the open note could be a C (if the small pad above B is almost closed, the open note will be a sharp and stuffy C).

@milandro: I guess this instrument will never be used in a concert and will remain a curiosity. So, its being (possibly) high pitch is not a serious problem. The owner would be a little bit insane to overhaul it ; if the horn gets sold, it will be very cheap (HP or LP).
Deleted. Misread.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
so, do I understand correctly that this horn only goes to low B, so it's harder to figure out whether it's a:

High pitch C soprano
Low pitch C soprano
High pitch Eb nino
Low pitch Eb nino?

Obviously measurements (let's say from the all-open C# tone hole to the low Eb tone hole) can answer, but there aren't a lot of people with all these variants.

Play testing is going to be troublesome unless you have access to an experienced soprano/nino player. Further, playing the horn with an unmatched mouthpiece will throw another wrench into the works. I can tell you that as primarily a baritone player, when I first pick up a soprano after a long time away, I can easily be a half step off till I recalibrate.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Please read the article ( by using Google page translate) that I’ve quoted before
and follow the graphics that I’ve quoted above , which measured the distance between the toneholes.

Since you don’t plan to keep this you should be aware that in anycase, whether high or low pitch, this horn is NOT worth any great amounts of money.

1) It has a double octave key
2) It is short range from B to high Eb
3) It has no brand

In all likelihood this is worth whatever anyone will offer you, there is no great value in a horn like this, the fact that it is HP or LP is fairly academic, seen it has all the other limitations mentioned
Thanks that it what I figured I think I can probably get a decent price for the vintage
18" without the low Bb would make it about 21-22" with the Bb so I stick with a C. As to it sounding Eb, it may have palm key leaks, etc causing but still odd.
Thanks everyone for the help. Whatever it is someone knows as I decided to put it up on ebay for 600 and it sold in literally 2 minutes. I made 500 so I am happy.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Thanks that it what I figured I think I can probably get a decent price for the vintage mpc.

Thanks everyone for the help. Whatever it is someone knows as I decided to put it up on ebay for 600 and it sold in literally 2 minutes. I made 500 so I am happy.
Well I did sell it 600 then the buyer asked nicely to cancel as he thought it was a vintage soprano and jumped the gun. He did state I should ask for more so as soon as I can relist will do.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
determining pitch is very important , this is what happens when you play a HP with low pitch instruments

and just for kicks, this is a Adolphe sax sopranino pitches in LP , I am reasonably sure that it is not the same as OP’s but even when in LP this is the sound that can be xpected by ancient instruments

The horn sounds just like the Adolphe video minus my inexperienced playing

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wouldn’t be surprised to see a new thread about this instrument within a week of the buyer getting possession.
Yeah, you know, I started to think about this and then read your post which kind of confirmed my thoughts. I decided to cancel the purchase and to hold on to it as it really is in outstanding condition for it's age. I did find one similar that was made in the 1880's and also one that is in MET collection. https://www.saxophonepeople.com/i-h...c-with-an-inscription-gold-meda...-18309.html
https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/504201

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
What did you put in the description of your listing when you still don't know what it is? Have you given up doing any more measurements or getting another player who can play it in tune?

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
What did you put in the description of your listing when you still don't know what it is? Have you given up doing any more measurements or getting another player who can play it in tune?
I really had no clue and once some folks here told me it could have been made in Belgium I started searching that and thus the latest links. The guy I bought from told me he bought it at a swap meet. If there is someone in Southern California that wants to try playing it I am up for it...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts