Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
It is about 18 inches. I re-corked it and it plays open at Eb. Actually all the pads are good except for lower one..
If C# is sounding Eb, then something is amiss. On a sopranino, a C# should sound E natural. Could it be you playing flat or not having the mouthpiece pushed in enough. Are you an experienced player? Are you using a nino mouthpiece (and reed) or a soprano mouthpiece?

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Split (double) octave key until about 1905
I have "The Buescher" mouthpiece it came with it that is in the pictures and it is much smaller than a Soprano. With no keys down it plays Eb all day so I am confused by your statement but that being said I played Sax in high school and recently took it back up so not an expert in any means. I really wasn't sure what I just bought as this was kind of a hey by the way, I also have an old soprano sax in the closet encounter, when my original intent was to just buy a Vintage Dukoff Tenor mouthpiece, which I did. I don't think I will keep it so not sure if I even want to buy Sopranino reeds. I am using a soprano reed on it currently.

I did do some more google sluething and what I could piece together is that Conn did make Eb Sopranino's in the early years without pearls and split double octave keys but again this does not have markings that I can find.. Thanks again for any insight. I find this place to be just amazingly helpful.
So you haven’t tuned it properly or your embouchure simply can’t play the right pitch. You’re a half step flat. You’ll need to work on your technique if you ever want to play soprano or sopranino.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
You’re not going to be able to tell by playing because you aren’t playing it correctly. It will take lots of practice and a good ear to do so. Just make the measurements if there is no L/LP/H/HP stamped anywhere.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Well, that would make the tuner results make sense!
How so? He’s playing a C# and getting an Eb. If it were a C soprano, he should get a C#. If an Eb sopranino, he should get an E. He also confirmed the horn is only 18” long. Sounds to me like it really is a nino being played very flat, which is expected from a novice nino player.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
@lydian: there could be a mechanical problem in the RH stack and the open note could be a C (if the small pad above B is almost closed, the open note will be a sharp and stuffy C).

@milandro: I guess this instrument will never be used in a concert and will remain a curiosity. So, its being (possibly) high pitch is not a serious problem. The owner would be a little bit insane to overhaul it ; if the horn gets sold, it will be very cheap (HP or LP).
Deleted. Misread.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
What did you put in the description of your listing when you still don't know what it is? Have you given up doing any more measurements or getting another player who can play it in tune?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts