Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have that in my drawer since many years. It seems similar to a Brilhart HR. Has scooped out inner side walls and plays abd sounds really well. Slant type sound.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,613 Posts
Im not getting Runyon either.

Definitely some iteration of a link design.

If its actual HR. Im not altogether sure Runyon every actually used hard rubber. Most were some sort of plastic (or resin if you like to be fancy).

·
13,613 Posts
Looks like hard rubber too.

Ive never seen one of those. Perhaps an early piece?

I dont know if the factory was ever tooled up to vulcanize HR.

Could be a blank...could easily be a babbitt blanks as well. Im gonna find out if it is.

·
13,613 Posts
No one at Babbitt remembers having a significant contract with Santy. That does not mean they didnt sell him some blanks back in the day.

They do believe its one of theirs, as I suspected.

This might be a pretty rare prototype or limited production run.

If anyone still knows how to get in touch with Paul Coats he may know more...or if not be interested.

·
13,613 Posts
I appreciate the gesture but I woudnt know anymore about its history seeing it closer.

Babbitt did get pics and thinks its one of their blanks from the old days before the modified the blank for McGregory.

From this time period there is no one still at Babbitt. They know their own history pretty well so if they had maintained a sizable contract with Santy they would know.
...but to them and to me it is likely from Babbitt and worked by Runyon.

It might not have great monetary value (though I dont know for a fact) but I have a hunch you have an interesting piece of history in your hands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.