Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that in my drawer since many years. It seems similar to a Brilhart HR. Has scooped out inner side walls and plays abd sounds really well. Slant type sound.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
Does it say Runyon on the mouthpiece? It doesn't look like any Runyon mouthpiece that I've ever seen. That looks more like a custom faced mouthpiece using a Babbitt blank to me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
If '164'(1.64 mm) is the facing, it would be about .065". Pretty close for a tenor if that's true. That piece is all 'Link' - no Runyon DNA.

·
12,710 Posts
Im not getting Runyon either.

Definitely some iteration of a link design.

If its actual HR. Im not altogether sure Runyon every actually used hard rubber. Most were some sort of plastic (or resin if you like to be fancy).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It says ‚Santy Runyon‘ on the shank. The‘164‘ is a serial number. The tip looks/feels like a 6*

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Taüatalk doesn’t let me upload the photo showing the brand engraved.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may wish to check Auction 223496538406
for the pictures

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, here finally the picture of the engraving/print on the shank.

·
12,710 Posts
Looks like hard rubber too.

Ive never seen one of those. Perhaps an early piece?

I dont know if the factory was ever tooled up to vulcanize HR.

Could be a blank...could easily be a babbitt blanks as well. Im gonna find out if it is.

·
12,710 Posts
No one at Babbitt remembers having a significant contract with Santy. That does not mean they didnt sell him some blanks back in the day.

They do believe its one of theirs, as I suspected.

This might be a pretty rare prototype or limited production run.

If anyone still knows how to get in touch with Paul Coats he may know more...or if not be interested.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dear Phil, if you are interested, I could send that to you (you are in France?) for closer examination.

·
12,710 Posts
I appreciate the gesture but I woudnt know anymore about its history seeing it closer.

Babbitt did get pics and thinks its one of their blanks from the old days before the modified the blank for McGregory.

From this time period there is no one still at Babbitt. They know their own history pretty well so if they had maintained a sizable contract with Santy they would know.
...but to them and to me it is likely from Babbitt and worked by Runyon.

It might not have great monetary value (though I dont know for a fact) but I have a hunch you have an interesting piece of history in your hands.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts