Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
View attachment 220362

We went out to a bar and grill. My wife had Cajun Penne Pasta, I had a French Dip with sweet potato fries. We probably go out to eat most nights, schedules are tough to predict for cooking in; but I do most of the cooking in, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week tops.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 220362

We went out to a bar and grill. My wife had Cajun Penne Pasta, I had a French Dip with sweet potato fries. We probably go out to eat most nights, schedules are tough to predict for cooking in; but I do most of the cooking in, maybe 2 or 3 nights a week tops.
Cajun penne? Sounds disgusting. What exactly do you think you’re doing, trying to commit suicide? One word, Zagats.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Eh, she gets what she wants. Looks awful to me, but probably more healthful than my beef sandwich. One is faced with what local restaurants offer. I'll say "we can do comfort food, BBQ, mexican, or bar and grill, which you do NOT want?" and we go through a process of elimination like that. Tonight it was bar and grill. My favorite feature of the place is the crane-like machine that you can get stuffed toys from, I'm aces on that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I had an entree of Hank Mobley and a main course of Leo Parker but the Kenny G dessert I heard in the elevator made me feel a little queezie afterward.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eh, she gets what she wants. Looks awful to me, but probably more healthful than my beef sandwich. One is faced with what local restaurants offer. I'll say "we can do comfort food, BBQ, mexican, or bar and grill, which you do NOT want?" and we go through a process of elimination like that. Tonight it was bar and grill. My favorite feature of the place is the crane-like machine that you can get stuffed toys from, I'm aces on that.
Oh I understand completely but what's wrong with Mexican? I like Mexican. But I don't think I could resist the crane machine either. Thanks for the changes! Phil

·
3,536 Posts
Oh I understand completely but what's wrong with Mexican? I like Mexican. But I don't think I could resist the crane machine either. Thanks for the changes! Phil
What's wrong with Mexican is that it's a rip off. You pay for crappy rice, beer and tortillas, which is nothing but cheap empty carbs. I always feel like I just got ripped off after I go out ( in the USA). For Mexican.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,970 Posts
What's wrong with Mexican is that it's a rip off. You pay for crappy rice, beer and tortillas, which is nothing but cheap empty carbs. I always feel like I just got ripped off after I go out ( in the USA). For Mexican.
Come down here to the Southwest, brother....you'll change your tune.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
Come down here to the Southwest, brother....you'll change your tune.
Amen brother. And here in California where I live, from the San Joaquin Valley to the border you can find amazing little family run restaurants where you can experience the real thing. If you’ve never tasted authentic Mexican food cooked in lard you don’t know what you’re missing. I remember watching a very good chef from the northeast on the Food Network who was making a famous Mexican dish. His first words were: “heat up a skillet coated with Olive Oil . . . “ I clicked the show off before he could commit sacrilege. Corn oil? Sure. Olive Oil? Not so much.

Oh, and tonight I went spicy for dinner. Had some Art Pepper.

·
3,536 Posts
I should've qualified it better... Not simply "in the USA" but more in my area here in NY and the Northeast. The Mexican usually sucks. I've been to Guadalajara and some other parts of Mexico and had the real thing. I might move to Albuquerque at some point, I know I can get better there.
Amen brother. And here in California where I live, from the San Joaquin Valley to the border you can find amazing little family run restaurants where you can experience the real thing. If you’ve never tasted authentic Mexican food cooked in lard you don’t know what you’re missing. I remember watching a very good chef from the northeast on the Food Network who was making a famous Mexican dish. His first words were: “heat up a skillet coated with Olive Oil . . . “ I clicked the show off before he could commit sacrilege. Corn oil? Sure. Olive Oil? Not so much.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
Got it LateNiteSax. Of course, we have bad Mexican food here too. Just easier to find the good stuff.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I should've qualified it better... Not simply "in the USA" but more in my area here in NY and the Northeast. The Mexican usually sucks. I've been to Guadalajara and some other parts of Mexico and had the real thing. I might move to Albuquerque at some point, I know I can get better there.
Oh you’re in Nyack, not far from me. I’m in Westchester. There’s good Mexican to be had in the city. Phil

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Just to keep up my end of the convo -

1. Yes, I know the changes to In Walked Bud.
2. Had fantastic paella made by some of the Hispanic ladies that often come to the Unity Jensen Beach service at which I am one of their pianists. Next Sunday is the T'day bash.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think my wife would pick Mexican every night! There are many decent Mexican places around here, in fact, the elimination process is sometimes "Do we want Mexican, Mexican, or that new Mexican place?" One of them has a nice local Belgian Ale that I like, which is unusual, I pick that place on Mexican nights.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts