Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,454 Posts
I love these (I have 5 of them) and this is a good serial range for sopranos. That said there are always underlying concerns with a horn like this. For example the rollers on the low spatula keys. There are 2 replacements and the third is shattered. Usually this comes from water damage and can be a warning sign for rod corrosion and other issues. A lot of us, myself included, tend to see "the best" in photos and "the rest" when an instrument is in hand. So value on a completely unknown condition horn will be lower.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
How much do you think I could get for it as is?
I paid $1050 for my gold plated Conn, similar to yours, later model, and considered that a very fair price at the bottom end of expectations for this most sought after of finishes. Good enough to feel that spending $900 on an artistic, full overhaul was more than worth it.

Bringing the gold shine back was mainly done by putting it into an ultrasonic bath, followed by gentle hand polishing. Even using gold polish cream on these is too abrasive. The layer is so thin, and with it being gold plated over silver plate. The other problem is the silver atoms diffuse into the gold layer, and no amount of polishing can brings the discolouring back to gold. From your pics there are areas of your horn that are affected by this. Like many gold plated examples of this age.

I'd say in its current state, $1000-$1500 is the ballpark, but restored and assuming no structural issues $2500 isn't unrealistic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,687 Posts
I am but, I played tenor for about 6 years and haven’t touched a sax since high school. I’m trying to pick it up again but probably not with this horn.
Keep it at least a few more years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is a nice find although I can almost smell the case from here through my computer monitor. Perhaps it is "olfactory cell memory". :)
I had a '23 Chu silver alto that was a thing of beauty but no matter what I did I could never get the smell out of the horn completely. I threw out the case! Good luck with this (seriously).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts