Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the left hand thumb rest? yes, the little round plastic in black.
thank you guys in advance!:bighug:

Mine is a yamaha sax

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It is most likely glued on. If prising does not work, some heat on the metal mounting tube usually makes the glue fail. But be careful not to melt the plastic. ( Of course some metal ones may be soldered.)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys!
It is most likely glued on. If prising does not work, some heat on the metal mounting tube usually makes the glue fail. But be careful not to melt the plastic. ( Of course some metal ones may be soldered.)
yea, i heard this too, but is there any photos showing which part to heat? or from where? i am afraid i will melt the plastic...

i want it off because i want to try this thing on.
http://www.wood-stone.jp/product/57

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thank you guys!

yea, i heard this too, but is there any photos showing which part to heat? or from where? i am afraid i will melt the plastic...

i want it off because i want to try this thing on.
http://www.wood-stone.jp/product/57
That is a nice looking thumbrest. I hate the plastic one on my evette, wonder if it'll fit my ES. However, the site claims that the thumbrest glue is "Reducing Vibrations", and there for this metal replacement being screwed on will make the Sax "Sound better'. I don't believe that at all. Maybe you will have a better feel, but I highly doubt it will change the sound.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
That is a nice looking thumbrest. I hate the plastic one on my evette, wonder if it'll fit my ES. However, the site claims that the thumbrest glue is "Reducing Vibrations", and there for this metal replacement being screwed on will make the Sax "Sound better'. I don't believe that at all. Maybe you will have a better feel, but I highly doubt it will change the sound.
I'll second that sentiment, however with a starting price tag of approximately $120 for about 50 cents worth of brass and screws and maybe 15 minutes of machining time, it should do more than just be a thumb rest. It is a pretty decoration for the sax.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll second that sentiment, however with a starting price tag of approximately $120 for about 50 cents worth of brass and screws and maybe 15 minutes of machining time, it should do more than just be a thumb rest. It is a pretty decoration for the sax.
Ouch, didn't even look at the price. That is one EXPENSIVE place to put a thumb. lol

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Might want to call it an uber priced thumb rest.
I wouldn't call it that because the value to cost ratio on an Uber... seems better. I am confident I could make brass versions of this design for $20 and make an excellent profit. I think I would also re-design it to have a depression in the surface to make the thumb rest more comfortable. IMO the plastic rest works fine and the contrasting colour of the black plastic is a good thing.

·
17,204 Posts
Heat the body. Not the plastic! How? With an electrical resistance heater or a flame. How not to melt the plastic? Care and experience, of how brass conducts heat, and what temperature softens typical plastics used, if indeed those plastics are thermoplastic.

But definitely prising first. Again, experience is what determines whether a difficult one can be done without damage. It's that experience you pay a tech for.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Heat the body. Not the plastic! How? With an electrical resistance heater or a flame. How not to melt the plastic? Care and experience, of how brass conducts heat, and what temperature softens typical plastics used, if indeed those plastics are thermoplastic.

But definitely prising first. Again, experience is what determines whether a difficult one can be done without damage. It's that experience you pay a tech for.
Yea, and if someone has $120 to spend on a thumb rest, the tech fee should be the least of the trouble.

·
17,204 Posts
...IMO the plastic rest works fine and the contrasting colour of the black plastic is a good thing.....
I totally agree. Save the money for gold plated pads! They won't add so much weight to the sax. A metal thumb rest provides a rather "heavy" sound to the sax. :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for the reply!
yes, the $120 thumb rest is too expensive actually. my plan was, if it's easy to remove the thumb rest, maybe i will try the uber thumb rest.

I totally agree. Save the money for gold plated pads! They won't add so much weight to the sax. A metal thumb rest provides a rather "heavy" sound to the sax. :)

by the way, i guess i better remove all the other keys and things before heating the main body...

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Thanks guys for the reply!
yes, the $120 thumb rest is too expensive actually. my plan was, if it's easy to remove the thumb rest, maybe i will try the uber thumb rest.
by the way, i guess i better remove all the other keys and things before heating the main body...
You can remove the octave lever assembly, but just keep in mind it has quite a few pieces to remember how to put back together. Also it is fairly easy for a novice and sometimes an experienced person to let the heat get out of control and not only damage the thumb rest, but possibly unsolder the thumb tube that is soldered to the body. It really isn't that difficult, just be careful and don't over heat or get flame near the plastic thumb rest.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can remove the octave lever assembly, but just keep in mind it has quite a few pieces to remember how to put back together. Also it is fairly easy for a novice and sometimes an experienced person to let the heat get out of control and not only damage the thumb rest, but possibly unsolder the thumb tube that is soldered to the body. It really isn't that difficult, just be careful and don't over heat or get flame near the plastic thumb rest.
very informative! thousand thanks! though i hesitate to give it a try, coz i don't have spare money to fix if i mess it up, haha!

Did you try to pry?
not yet, ...
: >
it looks so firmly attached...

·
17,204 Posts
It could probably have been prised off and on 61 times in the time that has been spent writing this thread.

It is firmly attached because it is not meant to come off in normal use. Some are just a jam fit - not even glued.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts