Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on craigslist today and saw this guy selling this sax. Looks like a good horn with some Conn-ish looking features. Anyone know anything about these horns? I understand that Henton Knecht made trumpets...

http://reno.craigslist.org/msg/2298621356.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Although it could well be a tenor (low-B bottom cage leg looks to be on bell/bow joint), I'd want to confirm it's not a C Melody, especially at "$400.00 a lot cheaper than the rest they are selling here"...

Even just the length of the case would suffice - unless by pure bad luck it was a C in a Bb case...[rolleyes]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Good point. Ask the guy to measure the body, sans neck.

Also, does it have a front F key ? Probably is an old Conn, yup.

Also...$400...that ain't all that good for a horn which likely won't play. Might be worth a visit just to see it, though. But $400 really isn't a very good price for a horn that old.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Looks like a tenor to me because of the bigger flare of the bell.
Conn New Wonder tenor - Conn C melody

Henton-Knecht, btw, was a Philadelphia music store run by two saxophonists, Benne Henton and Albert Knecht, both veterans of the Sousa Band.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I wasnt really interested in buying the horn, but what got me interested was the name alone and the looks of it. Ive never heard of the name before and from the pictures, it just looked like an intriguing mystery of a horn. Ill ask the guy if he would be willing to send me better pictures. Its funny how you can take really good quality pictures and when you post them on craigslist, they get all pixelated or blurry. Ugh. Hate that. Thanks for your guys input though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
From the pix, I agree it looks like a Conn stencil model. These lacked the exclusive Conn features such as the rolled toneholes. $400 might be ok for a tenor if you could check it out in person.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts