Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever post so really hoping it is in the right place and follows the rules so i don't upset everyone.

I am having trouble finding the music/ transcription for the fantastic alto sax in Betty Blue. Tenor would be ideal but happy to transpose if i can just get hold of the notes.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Wow. You mean there's somebody else who knows about Betty Blue?

(Sorry I can't help you, though. Good luck.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed - you know you're getting on a bit when you mention Betty Blue at work and get blank looks. Even if my post doesn't result in finding the notes I just hope it will at least serve as a pleasant reminder of a great film (and one that opens your eyes when you see it for the first time in your late teens).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,342 Posts
If you are referring to the opening solo, it is the some of the best music in a soundtrack that I have ever heard. I cannot read music very well and certainly not write it, but that solo is not hard to transcribe by ear. The latter I have a bit of a gift for, but have a go at it and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Got the CD, got the DVD, got the whole music inside my head and the film stays with me till the day I die and not for the reasons that people might imagine. You want to go about life like Zorg, although he might have chosen better than Betty, but that would have made for a boring movie.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
Actually, if I remember correctly, the same musical theme is heard throughout the movie.
The OP is probably referring to the beginning of the film where the old man is playing alto on the beach, but the same melody is used in many other scenes.

The ones I remember most: the piano duet during the wake and at the very end when Zorg is sitting on the floor crying after euthanizing Betty, you here it on the radio in a salsa version.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,342 Posts
Actually, if I remember correctly, the same musical theme is heard throughout the movie.
The OP is probably referring to the beginning of the film where the old man is playing alto on the beach, but the same melody is used in many other scenes.

The ones I remember most: the piano duet during the wake and at the very end when Zorg is sitting on the floor crying after euthanizing Betty, you here it on the radio in a salsa version.
I saw the movie again. The opening track from the soundtrack with the theme is actuallly not played until well into the movie. Before that, it is indeed the old guy "playing" the theme but thankfully that is not on the CD. As you elude to, it is very clever recycling of the theme throughout. I am not at home and don't know the name of the tune with the organ grinder, but it is interesting how the first time it is used in a happy setting and second time around adds scare to a scary scene.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
If this is it, then it's not exactly complicated.
Should be easy to work out by ear.

It sounds very French.

DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA

DA DA, DA DA DA DA DA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts