Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am going to buy some needle springs for a mark vi sop, from music medic.com, does any one happen to have a listings for pad and needle size listings for share?

I got some good results on vi tenor and alto, just have no luck on a sop yet.

Thank you everyone , have a good day!

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Music Center (Pisoni) lists the pad sizes for its set of pads for a Mark VI soprano. Music medic also sells a set of pads already made up, but will not just disclose the sizes the set contains. Spring sizes are more difficult. If you have a Mark VI soprano, you can remove the keys and measure the spring diameters using a set of calipers. Once you get those sizes it would be a good idea to order one or two extra of each size. Of course when installing new springs they are cut to the proper length and then the end is "dovetailed". The only other alternative would be to purchase a set of needle springs which is more cost effective per spring. Good luck with your "project". It sounds like you have bitten off a lot to chew. :)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have to ask, why do you plan to replace the springs? They don't wear out. In 45 years of playing and working on my own saxophones, having had probably a dozen or more pass through my hands, I think I've replaced a grand total of three needle springs. I actively play horns dating back to the 1920s.

If you have one or two springs that need to be replaced, just measure those and replace them. Leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I have to ask, why do you plan to replace the springs? They don't wear out. In 45 years of playing and working on my own saxophones, having had probably a dozen or more pass through my hands, I think I've replaced a grand total of three needle springs. I actively play horns dating back to the 1920s.

If you have one or two springs that need to be replaced, just measure those and replace them. Leave the rest alone.
+1

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
+1

The only time to replace all springs is if they are all severely rusted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts