Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Are you asking why the pictures are larger on your computer screen than on your smart phone? :)

Just kidding, I downloaded one of the pics and it is at 3000 * 4000 pixels. That is pretty big. So if you are claiming that some people see them unmagnified, then that is not true, because they are actually significantly reduced to fit on your screen or the display window allocated by the forum software.
???
I'm going to ask my buddy, keyboard guy, computer wizzard, to explain to me what's up.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Good pics, sandster! The engraving on my Academy is similarly deco in styling, but yours looks much more ornate than mine, with a somewhat different font. Your lacquer's much nicer too.

I guess it's still possible they're both from the same Canadian retailer or distributer, one that stencilled horns from various manufacturers. Maybe they're even from an actual music academy, who knows? "Academy" is a fairly obvious name for a student horn, so it could just be coincidence.

The plot thinnens . . . .
I'll say!!

As I messaround, fixing(?) this sax, I notice brass rods. Is this a Dutch thing? Common thing?

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I'll say!!

As I messaround, fixing(?) this sax, I notice brass rods. Is this a Dutch thing? Common thing?
I'm done with this! Just broke off the half end of the brass rod, so cannot use screw driver. An expensive wall hanger.
C'est la vie.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,810 Posts
I'm done with this! Just broke off the half end of the brass rod, so cannot use screw driver. An expensive wall hanger.
C'est la vie.
Impossible to decipher what you mean or are referring to. Can yopu post a pic...even if it's upside down, tiny, or giant ?

A broken rod of some sort can easily and usually cheaply be silver -soldered back together (or laser welded).

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
The end of the rod has a slot. One side broke off.
My frustration is showing, I'm afraid. Calming down, have some tea, look for a replacement rod, (I could saw another slot but that might cause more problems). I'll come back to this "Academy" after a break. I don't think a pic will shed any more light.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Well, the sax is working now. Not perfect but OK. Lots of learning for me. The rod with the broken slot is still doing its' job. Some new pads, some tweaking the low "C" pad cup, some new cork pieces. Not too bad.
My worst problems: lack of experience and proper tools.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,810 Posts
Ahhh you meant the Pivot Rod. That rod is not brass, FWIW, but rather steel. A tech has the tools to remove that easily, should it ever become an issue. If you tried unscerwing but it sheared off a piece, then either the thread end has become rusted into its post cap, or the entire rod has rusted to the key barrel.

As you said, oftentimes this doesn't mean the key will NOT function, so...for most practical purposes, not a huge deal.

There are some home methods one can try, but as you say, that requires buying certain tools.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Thanks for the advice, JayeLID. The pivot rod, if that's what it is, looks like brass to me. I wondered if this was a Dutch, (or German) thing. I broke off one side of the slot by trying to screw it in without removing the key work which was in the way.:oops: Lesson learned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,607 Posts
Well, the sax is working now. Not perfect but OK. Lots of learning for me. The rod with the broken slot is still doing its' job. Some new pads, some tweaking the low "C" pad cup, some new cork pieces. Not too bad.
Good for you to at least give it a go on repair work. Learning on a low dollar investment is a wise choice. Treating the repairs like it’s worth thousands is just your sense of pride and desire. All good too.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts