Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I believe the seller's comment that some were Buescher stencils is correct, but I don't think this one is, though far from an expert here.

This one has a "Made in" statement below serial number but I can't make out where it was made.

View attachment 224218

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been wanting to grab a cheap alto for a while. and oddly enough someone gave me a box of old Rico Royal 3's for alto. Now I've been searching for one.

They don't seem to know a lot about it. Their Response,

it's been serviced a few times in it's life time. Pads are relatively new. One has a slight leak and needs to be replaced. It has some neat features like the O brace, rolled tone holes. Appears to have a gold washed bell.
I don't know when the last service was done.

I'm going to check it out. I even have a friend who is willing to front me the cash for a few weeks so If it plays well and only needs a couple bucks work I might walk away with it.

It seems like it has conn style keywork and rolled tone holes but just the way it looks from the side almost looks like Keilwerth. I'm excited to try it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Keilwerth had rolled tone holes but they were in the former Musikwinkel (Bohemia) and then moved to Southern Germany before the wall came down. That doesn't mean that they did not sell their horns to whoever stencil commissioned them so you may be right. As for the year, it's only a guess but I'd think mid to late 1950s - I could be completely wrong, though

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
My Academy alto, also found recently up here in Canada, is a JK New King Series III stencil. But it doesn't look anything like that one, except maybe a vague resemblance in the style of engraving.

·
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Academy alto, also found recently up here in Canada, is a JK New King Series III stencil. But it doesn't look anything like that one, except maybe a vague resemblance in the style of engraving.
Interesting. wasn't able to see it today. If it only needs a little work I think it's a good score.

Zoomed in it most definitely says made in Holland.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Zoomed in, with a ton of digital sharpening, makes the word look like Holland to me as well. Kinda looks like it was modeled from a Conn 6M from around that time, but I'm unfamiliar with any manufacturers based in Holland. Maybe the serial number, in conjunction with the country of origin, will help clue us in. 🤔

·
4,901 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Next question: did the same vendor stencil "Academy" horns from both JK and Schenkelaars? I'd love to see a close-up of the engraving on that alto, littlewailer, and compare it to mine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
Schenklaars got their bodies from JK (therefore D&J) and outfitted 'em with their own keywork. So it's a JK body with older-style keywork.

(it actually says all that right there in the ad)

Schenklaars are OK, they sound great but I am not certain that for you, Littlewailer, it'd be a good match due to the keywork.

Its not 'bad' keywork, just sorta run-of-the mill old-school....I have refurbed a few and honestly, they are at about the same ladder rung as a second-shelf vintage American model. Respectable.

The folks who bought 'em from me were satisfied...keeping in mind that what these are are $300 Altos and $500 Tenors in good playing/physical shape.

·
4,901 Posts
Schenklaars got their bodies from JK (therefore D&J) and outfitted 'em with their own keywork. So it's a JK body with older-style keywork.

Schenklaars are OK, they sound great but I am not certain that for you, Littlewailer, it'd be a good match due to the keywork.

Its not 'bad' keywork, just sorta run-of-the mill old-school....I have refurbed a few and honestly, they are at about the same ladder rung as a second-shelf vintage American model. Respectable.

The folks who bought 'em from me were satisfied...keeping in mind that what these are are $300 Altos and $500 Tenors in good playing/physical shape.
Looking at Stephen's review, he had mentioned that some of them, including the one he had on the bench, were in fact made by JK. Seems that others were made in Italy, or in house by Schenklaars themselves. Is there any truth to that?

·
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I guess it really depends on how smooth the action is. My buddies 10M felt amazing to me. I didn't have any trouble with the pinkies because the mechanism was redone and seemed like a modern horn for how easy it was.

But on the other hand I've played enough vintage horns to know that stiff, unyeilding keywork. If that's the case I most certainly don't think it would be a good buy. I don't want to buy an alto just because it's cheap and then hate it. We'll see how it goes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
Looking at Stephen's review, he had mentioned that some of them, including the one he had on the bench, were in fact made by JK. Seems that others were made in Italy, or in house by Schenklaars themselves. Is there any truth to that?
Interesting...I dunno, quite honestly. It'd surprise me that JK would make that pinky table, really. Doesn't make sense to me they would fabricate such a non-JK'ish table. I will have to check that out. Thx for the reference.

I guess it really depends on how smooth the action is. My buddies 10M felt amazing to me. I didn't have any trouble with the pinkies because the mechanism was redone and seemed like a modern horn for how easy it was.

But on the other hand I've played enough vintage horns to know that stiff, unyeilding keywork. If that's the case I most certainly don't think it would be a good buy. I don't want to buy an alto just because it's cheap and then hate it. We'll see how it goes.
Let us know, I'd be curious...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts