Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very cool.:glasses7:

I just recently started trying it with an old Gerry Mulligan solo although it's probably great.. works for me though, and pretty fun lol. Takes me quite awhile to try and write it out properly, in proper format. Normally I like learning to play someone's tune or solo just by playing along, but writing it out is tough for me.

I can imagine it being pretty brutal writing out Joshua Redman tunes because of the timing. The performance of this is on youtube (you probably knew that), but it's a good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ICJUFOJa2g

Joshua Redman, and Gerry Mulligan... probably my favorite players. Completely different I know, but I like to mix it up.:)

Thanks for the post:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe I'll try writing out one of his songs...
Fav. song by the way for me by Joshua Redman has definitely got to be: Put it In Your Pocket. I can listen to that one over and over and still be crazy into it. I've played a logn a lot to it, but maybe I'll work on writing it out.
...study break from exams;)

...then again, my whole school life pretty much is a study break. Not good. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I love that youtube performance, it was the first thing I ever saw of Redman and I was just in awe. Jazz Crimes is my favorite Redman tune definitely, although I haven't heard Put It In Your Pocket, I'll have to look up the album.

I've tried transcribing a couple of Hank Mobley solos and I was doing alright but then on both occasions I got thrown off by one of those silent triplets where you just can't tell what the notes are. I get frustrated if I can't write the thing out from beginning to end, hehe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
superunknown373 said:
although I haven't heard Put It In Your Pocket, I'll have to look up the album.
Artist: Joshua Redman Elastic Band
Album title: Momentum
Track: Put It In Your Pocket (track 12 on the cd)

It's simpler sounding than jazz crimes, but grooves like nothing else. Solo's are amazing

:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've listened to Redman's "Jazz Crimes" quite a bit awhile ago, and I liked it, but wasn't crazy about it (whereas one of my friends was in the same opinion as how you said you are).

BUT

Since listening to it more again now, with this thread sparking the interest again, it's really growing on me. I think it helps to really piece together what he's playing and see the melody of it all... (looking at your written out part helps with that for sure and I thank you for it)

Now I've got that groove stuck in my head, and I really like it. It's just so tight. And I've gotta say, the drummer is awesome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, I just realized that transcription is wrong. The first saxophone note is on the and of 1, not the downbeat. I'll fix it in a bit.

·
Banned
182 Posts
did you ever get it fixed.. what about the changes

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a rough transcription with the chords.

Everything is pretty much there but the copy work is sloppy and I'm not sure if the chords are correct. Email me if you want it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone! Does anyone have a transcription of Joshua Redman's Jig-a-Jug?I love that song,but I can't hear the chords under the sax solo and I would like to play it with my band.Could anyone help me?I realy appreciate it!Thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts