Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently acquired an old Albert system Eb clarinet and I can't figure out how old it is. The clarinet has no brand name or serial number but on each segment of it I was able to find a stamped 'E'. It is a 12 key 2 ring model made of wood and it breaks apart into four parts (barrel, upper and lower joint and bell). It came with it an old wood mouthpiece, ligature (broken and unmarked) and cap. Because I was really curious and because I had nothing else to do, I learned how to replace the pads and after I re-padded it. Fortunately it was pretty in tune with itself but it was high pitched :( (this may or may not be caused by the fact that I am not a great clarinetist). Also, while I was removing the few remaining original pads , I discovered that one pad used old sheet music instead of a cardboard or felt backing.
I did find one example similar to the one I have (the case is basically the same, but the bell and the pinkie keys are different) on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/JW-PEPPER-Eb-SOPRANINO-ALBERT-SYSTEM-CLARINET-w-CASE-/300529522770?pt=UK_Woodwind_Instruments&hash=item45f8f49852

If there are any clarinet historians out there (even though this is a saxophone forum) I would appreciate any ballpark estimates. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, Conn doesn't have a 12 key model which leads me to believe that it isn't a Conn, or its from before 1889.
Thanks jbtsax for the link, every bit of info can potentially narrow down my search.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's seriously old if it looks like the fleabay horn, and doesn't have rollers on the pinky keys. Mid-late 1800's. Pics? Check the website for the national musical instrument museum. It's in one of the Dakotas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts