Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
As many of you know from my Signature I play a Selmer Series II Tenor sax. With a pretty basic set up right now for all kinds of music, nothing really special added on to it.
I was having a Lesson the other day, and my Private Lesson teacher told me that I can make the horn sound good, I just got to decide to do it. I know a lot of it is me, how much I practice on the piece etc. I also know that there is really nothing special to the set up, except that I am satisfied with the sound I am getting.
I'm a Senior, and have decided what I want to do in college. Major in Social Studies, and Minor in Secondary Education. I would also like to study saxophone more seriously, not a major maybe a weak minor at most. Since I have determined this, I am wondering if you think I should try to get a Matching Alto a Selmer Series II. I would have to do some serious saving, and probably a little trading.
The problem is that I know I am going to be a poor college student, and their is probably nothing I could do to change that. My question is that do you think a used Selmer Series II, would be justified for a weak minor.
I am just curious, I probably wouldn't have that kind of money 'till next summer. Do you think another Selmer is justified?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
danarsenault said:
You'd be an even better college student if you could make out the difference between there and their, and since and sense.
Planning on a minor in Secondary Education....scary.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Carbs I think Morry is referring to danarsenault's comments.

If I were you I'd learn the tenor really well and not worry about getting an alto. You don't need to double on both horns. You're better off mastering one horn in the long run.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Aw, man, another one of these? Just love what you got and go practice already! Having a Selmer doesn't matter if you don't have any chops. And it doesn't sound like you are serious about continuing with music anyway, so why throw your money away? You are already going to be poor in college, why make you situation worse by spreading your money even thinner?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,029 Posts
Carbs said:
Hey Morry how is that scary?
You want to go into education. Most education is done through speaking, but writing is involved. Your writing skilz are baffling and amusing and disturbing all at the same time!

More people than myself have made commentary on your bending of the spelling of fairly common words. Go for an education major, but be prepared for a LOT of language work, particularly English.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
I don't mean to be mean, but what does the title of this thread mean? There we go, English language at it's best! No wonder it's os hard to learn. I have the UTMOST respect for those that are able to speak good english, especially if their native language has no relationship whatsoever to english (cantonese, etc.).

·
5,092 Posts
Ask yourself:
1) What is your goal as a sax player?
2) Is your current alto holding you back from achieving that goal?
3) Is there more you can do without upgrading your horn?
4) Do you really get a lot of calls to play alto, anyway?

I think this line of thinking in your case comes down to more of a "want" than a "need..." and that's a very expensive gift to yourself. With a major and a minor already, are you going to really shed that much of your secondary axe anyway? Why don't you hold off until you've got steady income and a little more musical direction? If you ever NEED a pro horn, you won't have to ask! There are also lots of GREAT pro horns out there that are cheaper than a Selmer. My main axe is my Selmer alto, but honestly, I get more calls to play tenor, and I'm happy with my Martin (less than half the price of my Series III).

·
Registered
886 Posts
A Series II is a pro horn. It was top of the Selmer line for, what, 15 years? I get the sense you think it's not all that great, and I don't understand where that comes from.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Carbs, to answer your question, "No". I sometimes think that many of us don't really deserve the equipment we do have. :D No one needs a Serie II if they can't play a YAS 23 well. I've got a II and my daughter a 23. If my Selmer was down and I needed a back-up I would not look for another pro horn from somebody else, I would use my daughter's. It's really a fine instrument.

Please take this next comment nicely. If you want to go to college (have you been accepted?) and are intending to major in Social Studies and minor in Secondary Education, it would be well worth your time and effort not to spend time earning enough money to get a Selmer, or even woodshedding on it for that matter, but to spend the next several months woodshedding your written (and I would assume spoken) language. You are going to have problems if you don't and that should be your priority from here on out. We all wish you well, I think you're a good guy, but I think many of us also are aware of the level of English you're going to need and are making these suggestions in your best interest.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
lhoffman said:
A Series II is a pro horn. It was top of the Selmer line for, what, 15 years? I get the sense you think it's not all that great, and I don't understand where that comes from.
That's not what he said at all.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I fixed the grammar and spelling errors so that Carbs can continue to receive pertinent answers to his original inquiry.

I confess that I'm a bit anal when it comes to proper spelling myself, so no finger pointing by me toward either side of this coin.

Incidentally, for those using Interned Explorer Browser, I highly recommend the IE Spell Checker browser tool, downloadable from Microsoft.

·
4,147 Posts
What good does a minor in education do you? You can't get a license with it...

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me start off by saying, that I am working on getting my spelling up to the point where it should be. I try to catch my spelling errors, but some of them do slip though.
I am not seeking to replace my Tenor, I think that the Selmer is a very good horn, and it is a pleasure to play and maintain it. The horn I would seek to replace is my YAS-23.
What is your goal as a sax player?
My goal is to be the best Sax player I can. I would potentially like to play some gigs on the side. But I don't see myself trying to make a living playing sax.
Do you really get a lot of calls to play alto, anyway?
Right now that is my main horn. I play it every Sunday morning, and alot during the week. The work I do on my Tenor is preporation for auditions for a college band. Working on Solo's etc.
If you want to go to college (have you been accepted?) and are intending to major in Social Studies and minor in Secondary Education, it would be well worth your time and effort not to spend time earning enough money to get a Selmer, or even woodshedding on it for that matter, but to spend the next several months woodshedding your written (and I would assume spoken) language.
I have not been accepted into a College yet. But I have the nescary rank, and ACT score to be accepted. I don't have a problem speaking English, I just have a problem remembering certian spellings. Confusing words like There, and Their. As I said earlier I am trying to work on it.
Yes I am planning on Majoring in Social Studies and minoring in Secondary Education. I would like to end up being a High School History Teacher.

Thanks Sax, I appreaciate it. I will download the spell check toolbar from Windows.

I was told that I needed a Minor in Education to get a job teaching History.

·
4,147 Posts
No, you need to major in Secondary Education with a focus (or whatever they call it) in History.

Trust me, I am going through this for math right now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
First, forget the comments about your spelling. I work with highly paid engineers, scientists and other technical people that avoided spelling and English like the plague in college. Now, they are the ones that write the government's most technical documents. This is why they invented Spell-check on the computer. Enough said on that.

Most of the guys I know that played on college (not music majors) only needed their main horn. And that is all most of them had. I just don't see the value of spending big dollars on a Selmer alto unless you are blessed with plenty of money to a point that an extra $3,000 plus is not a lot of cash to you. If you are like most college students I know, you will be hard pressed to find time to practice your main axe.

And lastly. If you are not going to major in music, don't worry so much about what your tone is "supposed" to sound like. Just play, have fun and above all else, enjoy yourself. To me, it's love that makes the music special. And good tone comes best through practice and love of playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,938 Posts
I thought you, Carbs, were looking for a budget mouthpiece just last week. If you cannot afford a mouthpiece, why are you even considering a new horn, much less a Selmer?

If you didn't hang out with all the GASaholics here at SotW, I bet you wouldn't even consider it. You need to step away from the keyboard and study. Get college behind you, get a job, and THEN get GAS.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts