Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make me sound flat? Because when i played before my sax got full of spit, the tone sounded nice and an hour after playing, i noticed that i had alot of saliva in the sax, i started to sound out of tune and ugly. thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,749 Posts
Spit makes you sound 'spitty'.
A tired embouchure can make you go flat, out of tune, and ugly.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Does this saliva make me sound flat? :wink:

I have problems with a buzzy or spitty sound I have to keep adjusting for. I haven't noticed though that it makes me go out of tune, just the "buzz" if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I agree that you will start to sound flat when you get tired. As for the spit, I've never had this problem on any other horn, but if I forget to empty the spit valve on my bari often enough, I start to sound a little warbly and actually a bit sharp.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,158 Posts
first of all, relax, it isn't spit but the great majority is just water vapour condensation. (Exhaled Breath Condensate )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaled_breath_condensate

Condensation in a bari would stay in the neck if not expelled and at a certain point affect the sound but in no other saxophone would linger on in the neck.

From the tone of you question my guess is that you haven't been playing long.

One hour of continuous playing will affect an embouchure that is still forming and it is only logical that one player with such an embouchure will loose some tonicity after one hour of playing.

Besides, many players bite. Biting makes you flex the reed (as you would do in a vibrato) changing the intonation, the more you bite the higher the pitch.

This is the reason why a lot of people play with mouthpieces too far back on the cork and the reason why you hear so often that people have a good intonation on the lower register and a bad one on higher one.

So, often the cure is to say,take more mouthpiece in, push your mouthpiece further on the cork and relax your embouchure. This ain't easy because requires more of the breath support that so many lack.

Once you do that you will see that your intonation improves but also your stamina because you are not constantly pushing the reed up to seek an intonation caused from a mouthpiece set too far back.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Does it make me sound flat? Because when i played before my sax got full of spit, the tone sounded nice and an hour after playing, i noticed that i had alot of saliva in the sax, i started to sound out of tune and ugly. thanks!
I've heard that even the best wind players take a short break after a half hour. I always do. And, yes, too much moisture can ruin you tone. I have Music Medic swabs for both horn and neck and use them every half hour if needed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is kind of related and kind of not. I have always believed that that if the cork on the neck does not go all the way to the end of the neck, spit can collect in that space and cause problems. I make sure the cork goes all the way to the end of the neck.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
One hour of continous playing will tire the embouchure on any wind instrument (except maybe whistle types).

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Flat is tiredness ( or an excessively warm room).
Sharp is the other factors that miladro mentions. (Not sure why he did this.)

The small amount of moisture that an alto or tenor collects in the neck before running away will not affect the pitch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,158 Posts
to say that after one hour of play if you tend to play with a overtightened embouchure you will tire and go all that much flatter......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts