Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit specialized, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to fit a C-Melody (mine is a Buescher) into the double gig bag Gard makes to fit an alto and soprano? It looks like the length would not be a problem, since the C Melody body is no longer than a soprano body, but the bell of a C-melody is a fair bit higher up than an Alto bell, so I'm not sure if it would still fit in the gig bag. Let me know if anyone has tried this. Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you mean only the C melody and no soprano. The C melody body should be in the 25" range but the bow to bell may be and issue.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm hoping someone might know if the larger bell of the C Melody will fit on not. I am planing on carrying it with a C soprano. It will be my In C bag (no connection to Terry Riley) :)

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Hmm... might be able to squeeze it in if you remove that cone, and possibly some of the bottom padding. I personally would carry two hard cases. I'm sure you already know how risky gig bags are, especially one as flimsy as that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,267 Posts
Thanks! To be clear, I'm looking at this one, which, if you look at the last picture seems to show a couple inches of space available above the alto bell.
Your Buescher C is 25.5 (with a end plug) x 8.5 x about 5”
As a suggestion contact Guard tech support direct and ask the questions. If you ask WWBW they will do the same and call you back. Asking the question @ WWBW give you the option to return if it doesn’t fit right. Or at least that’s the way it worked last time I bought one from them.

SPECIFICATIONS for the one you listed above. The information is only good if you’re trying to fit on an airplane. The tech sheet mentions full surrounding of 20 mm to the instrument. Not sure if that equates to deducting 40 mm out of each of these measurements.
  • Dimensions
  • Outer: 29.9" x 13.8" x 7.1" or 76 x 35 x 18 (cm)

I would also contact SKB and Protech. They may have other affordable options and better product. I’m not overly crazy about the soft bags. I have a wheelie alto case. It’s nice but I’m always very cautious handling it.

·
6,267 Posts
Thanks for the very helpful info, especially about creating a 'paper trail' in case I need to return it if it doesn't fit.
Just for curiosity I took the wheelie bag out and put the C melody in. I moved the pads around for best fit. A wine cork as an end plug it’s still had space on the length. Tight fit on the bell with no real protection. The cone pushes on the upper stack.
Furniture Musical instrument Dress Sleeve Bag

Outerwear Textile Sleeve Bag Grey

Hand Outerwear Product Comfort Textile

Brown Wood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Badge Jewellery Metal Electric blue Medal

Wood Circle Art Sculpture Hat

Bag Luggage and bags Gesture Eyewear Finger

·
6,267 Posts
Looking forward to your findings.

The bag / case above I bought used off Craig’s list for $25. Student purchased it and used only a couple months. They hated it. I primarily use it for alto storage. Well made with good materials. The movable pads are nice. Good for bellkeys in any configuration vintage or modern. How well does it protect the horn in transit ? Haven’t tested that yet. Still looking for a volunteer alto. When protection is important I use Protech Cases.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to close this particular circle, the gig bag is great for my purposes. The Buescher C Melody and C soprano fit perfectly side by side. There is still room to use the cone-shape padding in the C Melody bell, and room for me to put a folding sax stand in there too, and accessories in the side pouch. It seems very well constructed and well padded. It is clearly not a case to put under a plane or run over with a car, but no soft gig bag is. It worked well for me!

·
6,267 Posts
Just to close this particular circle, the gig bag is great for my purposes. The Buescher C Melody and C soprano fit perfectly side by side. There is still room to use the cone-shape padding in the C Melody bell, and room for me to put a folding sax stand in there too, and accessories in the side pouch. It seems very well constructed and well padded. It is clearly not a case to put under a plane or run over with a car, but no soft gig bag is. It worked well for me!
Thanks for posting some feedback.
Give it three months and you’ll really know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts