Sax on the Web Forum banner

Doc Tenney??

9K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  m3pilot 
#1 ·
Anyone ever heard of Tenney's "Jazzmaster" pieces.. I guess it's a piece he is producing from a special Babbitt blank.. Has anyone played one?

They suposedly have an exclusive chamber design that he designed..

Let me know.

#2 · (Edited)
You could PM Doc. His handle is ol'mouthpiecedoc or something like that...

edit: I mean ol'mpcdoc...

#4 ·
Hersch17 said:
Anyone ever heard of Tenney's "Jazzmaster" pieces.. I guess it's a piece he is producing from a special Babbitt blank.. Has anyone played one?

Let me know.
I've already replied to Herschel off the SOTW forum and it appears at this point he's had his questions answered adequately. I'll make no further comment on SOTW regarding these mpcs.

#6 ·
speyman said:
Why not. I'm sure all the SOTW what to know about the "Jazzmaster" mouthpiece.
Short answer: Because this mpc is not "aimed" at the typical SOTW member. Long answer: Unlike (too) many others, I have not - and will not - use the SOTW Forums to advertise or promote my own work and products in any way. I neither want or need that kind of "publicity". My participation here is to offer my experience as a "resource" for information - NOT to advertise my services or make sales. I really have an intense dislike for "hype" or self-promotion whether it's an overtly obvious sales pitch or disguised as "educational advice". I try to confine my postings to answering questions and/or providing general information on topics about which I feel adequately well-informed to comment. I will continue to post here when I feel my contributions are congruent with my own standards and appropriate to my concept of the real value and intent of this wonderful Forum Harri has provided for us all.

#7 ·
Ol' Mpc Doc said:
Unlike (too) many others, I have not - and will not - use the SOTW Forums to advertise or promote my own work and products in any way. I neither want or need that kind of "publicity"...I really have an intense dislike for "hype" or self-promotion whether it's an overtly obvious sales pitch or disguised as "educational advice".
Well then you came to the wrong place that's for sure, LOL.
But you knew that. ;)

I wonder, though, since many of us would be interested in more information about these mouthpieces -and since Doc Tenney's wish is not to supress information about them, but rather simply not to personally involve himself in self-promotion on this forum- if you would be willing to share general information that we could use, Hershel. I don't believe sharing general info about the mpc would violate the Doc's restrictions on personal self-promotion.

#8 ·
Hersch17 said:

They suposedly have an exclusive chamber design that he designed..

Let me know.
Yes, I have one. They are great pieces...fantastic response throughout...low tones are effortless...really rounds and fills out top tones, esp on Mk. VI tenors. You can get them through Tenor Madness.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks

Ol' Mpc Doc said:
Short answer: Because this mpc is not "aimed" at the typical SOTW member. Long answer: Unlike (too) many others, I have not - and will not - use the SOTW Forums to advertise or promote my own work and products in any way. I neither want or need that kind of "publicity". My participation here is to offer my experience as a "resource" for information - NOT to advertise my services or make sales. I really have an intense dislike for "hype" or self-promotion whether it's an overtly obvious sales pitch or disguised as "educational advice". I try to confine my postings to answering questions and/or providing general information on topics about which I feel adequately well-informed to comment. I will continue to post here when I feel my contributions are congruent with my own standards and appropriate to my concept of the real value and intent of this wonderful Forum Harri has provided for us all.
Thanks for the information mouthpiece Doc. Your very helpful.;) Whoops, I should have thanked gosjazz so thank you gosjazz for the information on the Jazzmaster.

#10 ·
Tenney Jazzmaster mouthpiece

I have two 7* jazzmasters. For the kind of sound I'm after, this mouthpiece is fantastic. Dark, fat, very even from top to bottom. Very easy to play and very reed friendly. If you do a lot of rock/pop playing, this probably isn't for you. But if you're interested in developing your own jazz sound, I highly recommend them.

You can order them on trial from tenormadness.com.

#13 ·
Jazzmaster mpc at tenormadness

Well, I got mine from Randy at Tenormadness.com

I suggest calling the tenormadness phone number, as the website isn't designed for online transactions.

I don't know if saxquest.com is distributing these or not.

Great piece.

#15 ·
I have a Jazzmaster, Tenney custom slant and a blueprinted, current production ToneEdge. Before I got the Jazzmaster I actually prefered the ToneEdge because it is so dark (but not stuffy or tubby as some contend). I switched from playing a Chu to an SBA about a year ago and loved the sound of the ToneEdge on it but it wasn't the most virile sound in the world. The slant, for me, is brighter than what I'm after right now. In my experience the Jazzmaster is closer to the eq of the ToneEdge but it works better (more authoritative, muscular) than the TE on the smaller bore Selmers. It also noticably fattens the palms on my SBA (and they weren't bad to begin with . . . for a Selmer). Like with the TE, I feel I am more in control of the tonal product with the Jazzmaster whereas the slant has more inherent character to it.

So it one of those things really . . . none of those pieces have any faults and for someone chasing equipment a Jazzmaster is not going to be any kind of "holy grail". I think it's for someone who knows what they're after and has a developed airstream (the slant might be a bit more forgiving in this regard). It does seem to be a great match on the Selmers I've tried it on (SBA, Mk. VI, Ref. 36 Flamingo and this 99xx serial numbered horn I played). I've played it on larger-bore horns (Chus, Keilwerths) too and it's equally great but maybe a bit more of a toss-up with my TE for the sound I like.

I think drakesaxprof mentioned that he plans to post a review of his Jazzmaster. He's undoubtedly much more qualified than I am to give the piece a proper, professional-level assessment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.