Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a newbie, started in march 2016, trying to play 1 hour each day, nice plan, not always possible.

So my experience would add up to around 1200 hours playing tenor saxophone, still a newby.

But:
- I no longer honk like real newbies, I try to shape my tone
- I can play (slowly) directly from sheet music, is it is not too complicated
- I no longer consider 80 BPM fast :)

I still have a long way to go. And like so many complex subjects (I consider playing sax as complicated): the more you know about it, the better you see what you don't know. So playing saxophone is humbling.

Last week, I was home alone practising. And I often end with a blues tune (and an improvistion from a book) my teacher gave me last year. It was the first time I had the idea I was making music, instead of just honking on the horn and trying to get all the notes correctly.

My wife came home, unexpected. And she danced into the room where I was practising. Or better, playing my heart out on this basic simple Blues tune.

So she heard it also: she danced because I was making music, not just honking on a horn.

I still have a lot to learn to become a real musician.
But sometimes I can make a bit of music. And other people hear it too.
I will never forget the moment she came dancing into the room.

Anybody else had a similar experience?

Bart

·
Administrator
17,276 Posts
Nice story Bart. :)

For me it's a long time ago (30+ years) that I started and I don't have a clear memory about that as you, but I think I got that feeling when I first played a simple melody in a smooth way with a decent sound (could be Sentimental Journey, not sure).

Do you play in a band? If not, I would recommend you to start with that. That will really give you the feeling of making music.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm around the same time mark.
'er indoors isn't that interested. But I remember when my zoom personal recorder first came back with something I could almost tap my foot to... For my struggles with rhythm, anyway.
So many things to get together - do many small triumphs!

Onwards and upwards in 2020, One and All.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
Probably when I reached a point where I was actually making music... it was soon forgotten. But not the first honk. Nope. That was magical. Me and two other neighborhood kids got our first rental instruments. A trumpet. A clarinet. And me on alto sax. We went down to the future clarinetist's basement... and without even a lesson, or knowing what were doing... we jammed. Oh, a glorious jam. Free blowing. Honking. Pure, unadulterated noise. And I remember it like yesterday.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
My cousin, who was 6 years my senior, used to like to make me lip synch to records--Wolverton Mountain, The Twist, Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, Temptations when I was four or five.

I got my first sax when I was 10, and my teacher was a piano/violin player who taught beginning everything. I did OK making a honk or two, then I took the sax home, where I totally messed up the fingerings by putting my pointer finger on the fork F, middle on lh1 and ring on lh2. It sounded awful, and I cried because it didn't sound right. Next lesson, Mr. Tibbets corrected my fingers and I played all the hits from the first division band book.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
That was a beautiful story.

I don’t recall a moment that I would characterize as “first music”, but I do recall a few firsts: my first public solo (sixth grade, played Greensleeves on clarinet), first celebrity concert performance (played for the governor of California, Ronald Reagan, at the state capital), first concert auditorium performance (Reno Jazz Festival, 1971).

Thanks for shaking the memory tree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1967- 7th grade beginning band. After about 2 weeks we played “American Patrol” and you could actually tell what the song was!

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's all relative. I've played a lot of stuff, but some might say I've never really made music. Seriously, I remember the first time I improvised a decent riff over a backing track. Almost gave me a boner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I wish I had a story like that.

I played from the 5th grade onward, and sort of took it for granted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts