Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you prefer Heavy Reverb and Delay or Dryer Sound for your saxophone? Darker or Brighter EQ? Do you like to distort/enhance your sound and change it or just amplify your natural sound? Knowing that environmental variables exist do you like your natural sound or the more brighter electronic sound? Also, Clip on microphone or mic stand. How do you like your sound?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,910 Posts
It all depends on context and genre. For me it's about the quality of the reverb, not the heavyness or amount. I might combine a short room with a longer hall or plate so that it enhances the sound of the saxophone without sounding too effected. ie it should sound natural and allow the saxophone sound to "shine." So ften reverb gets a bad name because it is overused or used badly.

Delay is a differnt kettle of fish. In that case for me it is more of an effect, but again I might use it in a way you hardly hear, and yet on a recording it helps the saxophone to "sit" nicely within a mix.

EQ darker or brighter? No I would not apply EQ electronically, it's up to me to make the saxophone sound like I want, embouchure is my "EQ". Unless there is a good reason to change that in post production as some kind of effect, but only if the context warrants it. Or if soemthing went wrong with the recording process and EQ is used in its original meaning of equalising the two signals. (So that after = before)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
When practising alone or with my bands, I keep my sound as flat and natural as possible. But in our recent 80s pop gig, I added a touch of reverb to my alto using an ATM-350 clip-on mic and TC Helicon box. Never had so much positive response from the crowd, and while that surely wasn't all due to the reverb, it clearly didn't hurt the performance.

I've lately been recording tenor tracks for use in an audiobook, and have kept them completely flat, though I layer electronic tracks and distortion onto them in Garage Band and Audacity.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great responses...I myself love my natural sound but do have to enhance from time to time. I feel more connected to my sound with less processing. At times it's necessary to mic up and tweak electronically to blend with electronics, but I love the acoustic sound of my horns so I make sure I have a basic mic setup that I first feel natural (flat) with, then tweak. I like my sound louder but not different when needed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,316 Posts
Do you prefer Heavy Reverb and Delay or Dryer Sound for your saxophone? Darker or Brighter EQ? Do you like to distort/enhance your sound and change it or just amplify your natural sound? Knowing that environmental variables exist do you like your natural sound or the more brighter electronic sound? Also, Clip on microphone or mic stand. How do you like your sound?
Why ruin a perfectly good-sounding instrument's tone?

·
28,910 Posts
Why ruin a perfectly good-sounding instrument's tone?
That isn't the question.

I have been making a decent living as a music producer for thirty years, and I can guarantee that some good sounding instruments have been ruined by no (or not enough) ambience and EQ in a recording.

As I said, people hear some inappropriate reverb or EQ and become biased against any use of ambience and EQ, possibly without realising it is actually there on some recordings that they like. When used properly, often you don't know it has been used.

I've said it before, but most people don't actually know the original definition of EQ.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
There are times when a wetter sound is appropriate, but it's easy to overdo it. There are some very good players who post videos to Youtube and basically ruin their sound by adding too much reverb and it just sounds cheesy, when it could have sounded great, IMHO.

Of course, this is all subjective, like just about everything else in music.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like the accoustic sound of my saxes....
But I am also using my line6 m13 alot to add bass octaver and/or a delay and/or an echo and/or reverb. Actually the bas octaver can make you sound like you play baritone and tenor at the same time which is much liked by the crowd ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
That isn't the question.

I have been making a decent living asa music producer for thirty years, and I can guarantee that some good sounding instruments have been ruined by no (or not enough) ambience and EQ in a recording.
Is this thread about live or recorded sound?

If live, I prefer acoustic if the venue is small enough. After that, just enough reverb that you can hear it in a sound check, but its not obvious in play.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In a mixing class I took, they said people always say they want to sound "natural"- but they (generally) don't really mean that at the end of the day. If you're doing a demo of 80's cover tunes, you want all kinds of delays, chorus, etc. so it really just depends on what you're doing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
If I'm playing outdoors I definitely prefer a bit of delay.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This thread is to talk about how you like to hear your horn Live or Studio. I also engineer in my studio and other horn players may say give me more or less effect, It's all about what do you like. We also can talk about or give examples of what can be done with effects. This can help new players understand what we've found and prefer in most situations of play. It's all about the sound of our horns "Playing on" in the musical world. Remember AI is always trying to replace our acoustic horns. The more we alter our natural sounds AI can mimmic us better. One day in my studio while I was experimenting with effects I figured out how Welding Felder (Jazz Crusaders) got this effect with an "Enveloper".
Jazz Crusaders "Free As The Wind"

P.S. I still prefer my most natural sound with a little verb if necessary to blend with other instruments using effects.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
*Wilton Felder*

Michael Brecker was also a huge user of the envelope filter. He used a Elctro Harmonix Q-Tron.

I've used Octavers, delays, wah wahs, harmonizers. Basically everything practical under the sun in some capacity.

The key is that a little goes a long way. One effect at a time or maybe 2 if reverb is one of them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Most of the folks I play with and for are not connoisseurs of saxophone tone, which is generally a good thing considering my ability. After matching up the perfect breath support, embouchure, reed, mouthpiece, horn to produce just a lovely tone, I look around for approval and get barely a nod. Growl a little and mix in some reverb from my Mic Mechanic and they are all “wow! You are really killing it, dude!”

I really get the reverb cranked up for a few songs, such as Tom Wait’s “New Coat of Paint” to a give schmaltzy back alley under a streetlight effect. Most of the time I keep it just enough to keep it a little wet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,316 Posts
That isn't the question.

I have been making a decent living as a music producer for thirty years, and I can guarantee that some good sounding instruments have been ruined by no (or not enough) ambience and EQ in a recording.

As I said, people hear some inappropriate reverb or EQ and become biased against any use of ambience and EQ, possibly without realising it is actually there on some recordings that they like. When used properly, often you don't know it has been used.

I've said it before, but most people don't actually know the original definition of EQ.
You're correct. I guess I was thinking collateral damage, imo. :)

·
28,910 Posts
Hands up who does know where the term derives and why it is called equalisation?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts