Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chromatic scoops or half key bends. Or really anything that makes the line more like a song and less like a created in the practice room lick? the most striking thing I hear from my "jazz" friends is how they ignore phrasing. Its all about cute, not something "sung"> K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I'll do a practice with kride vid on this when my hands get better. Something got strained in my right hand between the first and second fingers. Had to back off today K

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Chromatic scoops or half key bends. Or really anything that makes the line more like a song and less like a created in the practice room lick? the most striking thing I hear from my "jazz" friends is how they ignore phrasing. Its all about cute, not something "sung"> K
I don't understand the second part about jazz friends ignoring phrasing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With out inflections the music is boring. Once you've got the basic notes and rhythm of the tune down, the next step is practicing inflection and dynamics, this is what makes the music exciting and passionate. No one in the audience will turn a head or open up their ears without it.

so to answer YES, practice inflections

·
Registered
322 Posts
Completely agree. The more it's you singing through your horn the higher the level of communication to an audience. The time has past for "finger wigglers" who think that impressing an audience with flashy technique is somehow being a musician. It's like watching the world's fastest typist. Amusing for a very short while, but if what they typed is simply a bunch of words that don't tell a story or communicate something then what's it worth? Bottom line is there has to be something communicated other than just trying to impress an audience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts