Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sad to say the Lamp has sinusitis/bronchitis. Nothing that won't pass, of course, but I was wondering what you guys do when you have a bug like this. Do you play through it, ditch paid gigs, practice, what? I ask because yesterday I succumbed to Responsible Behavior Syndrome and laid off, and I'm afraid I might go under again today. I hate not playing!

Thanks for your thoughts.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
LampLight said:
I'm sad to say the Lamp has sinusitis/bronchitis. Nothing that won't pass, of course, but I was wondering what you guys do when you have a bug like this. Do you play through it, ditch paid gigs, practice, what? I ask because yesterday I succumbed to Responsible Behavior Syndrome and laid off, and I'm afraid I might go under again today. I hate not playing!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Do you have an infection, or are you suffering from allergies? Personally I would not play if the former; if the latter, I would. I would prefer not to turn my axe into a bacterial colony. Colonialism is so out of style!:D
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reedsplinter said:
Do you have an infection, or are you suffering from allergies. . .
Infection. I have an antibiotic and a kuhrrraazzee cough syrup.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
LampLight said:
Infection. I have an antibiotic and a kuhrrraazzee cough syrup.
If they gave you antibiotics, they think there's at least a chance you have a bacterial infection. I'm no medico, but personally I would lay off, if possible, for a few days until the antibiotic has a chance to kick in. Also, I would thoroughly wash mouthpieces, and get rid of reeds I was using immediately before diagnosis. You don't want to reinfect yourself! (I always throw away toothbrushes at such times too, for the same reason.) Hope you get better soon!

If I had a paid gig and didn't have a fever over 99.9, I'd likely play the gig and then clean the horn; this is not ideal, but after all there are other people depending on you (hey, you can infect them too!). Actually I have had a couple of very satisfying experience playing gigs when I had a fever. . . . But I'd leave off woodshedding; you can do some mental practicing and/or serious listening while you're off your feed.

Years and years ago I went off on a 3-day road gig when I had what turned out to be mononucleosis! Big mistake. You've been diagnosed, so you're fine, but I would never again go to a gig ill not knowing what the problem was. You never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
As a veteran of this type of problem, I play on unless feeling lousy. I do get rid of the reeds on recovery though; mouthpiece wash, too.

I have refused to be beaten by this over a period of 35 years. At present, I am still winning - at least as far as blowing goes.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Pinnman said:
As a veteran of this type of problem, I play on unless feeling lousy. I do get rid of the reeds on recovery though; mouthpiece wash, too.

I have refused to be beaten by this over a period of 35 years. At present, I am still winning - at least as far as blowing goes.
Pinnman,
You, as well as the originator of this thread, should do a Google search on "neti pot". I was alerted to this device by a fellow sax player a few years ago, when I had a particularly stubborn sinus attack. It's not a cure for an infectious process, but it's great for symptom relief and for prevention of recurrent sinus infection. I've since turned several friends onto this device, all of whom became "believers".

BTW, there's nothing magic about the device itself; any makeshift device that can accomplish flushing out the sinus cavities with a simple saline solution (using non-idiodized) salt) will do. The specific instructions for the process are gross and I won't detail them here; instructions come with the device ( which is typically to be found in health food stores, or grocery stores like "Whole Foods", and others of that ilk) and I'm sure you could find instructions on-line somewhere.

Give it a try---might help and has no downside as far as I know.

Ruth
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Right -- that saline flushing technique has been around for quite some time and works really well for some. It is, though, as you say, for folks with allergies and chronic sinus drainage. Infection is another thing (though a chronic sinus drip can lead to a sinus infection for sure). Sax players with allergies have to learn to maintain. Otherwise, get thee to thy doctor and take thee thy magic pills (unless you're a Christian Scientist blues musician; is there such a thing? If I can think of it, it probably exists).
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Sax players with allergies have to learn to maintain.
And, unless you're playing really far-out stuff, take the mouthpiece out of your mouth before you sneeze.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
retread said:
And, unless you're playing really far-out stuff, take the mouthpiece out of your mouth before you sneeze.
OOOOOOOO, I am imagining a new kind of multiphonic!!!!!!:twisted: :shock:
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,247 Posts
Opera singers have been doing the saline wash for over 100 years.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reedsplinter said:
Mae West is rumored to have enjoyed a daily enema.:shock:
Geez, I mightily hope that's off point. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But seriously, thanks for the feedback folks. I wouldn't have thought about tossing the reeds. Interestingly, I've been going through beaucoup old reeds in the process of exploring a new mpc, and reading your posts made me wonder if that's where the bug came from in the first place.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
hakukani said:
Opera singers have been doing the saline wash for over 100 years.
Not to worry (or hope), however. I know of no instances where a sax player who engaged in sinus flushing was seized with a sudden desire to burst into an operatic aria either vocally or instrumentally. I'm not sure, however, whether there were any observed increases in tendencies toward improvisation on themes by Puccini or Verdi. :)
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
Sax players usually don't need any external stimulus to propel them into unwarranted cadenzas. . . .:D
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AltoRuth said:
. . . do a Google search on "neti pot" . .
As the old saying goes, the neti pot is in the mail. Thanks Ruth.
 

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
5,076 Posts
martysax said:
In those cases, I use Scotch therapeutically.

Single malt from the Highlands or Islands, at least 12 years old, served neat in an old fashioned glass.
Precisely. Preferably Laphroaig. Saying that name will help you clear your throat, too. I also suggest that you not wait until you are actually ill to use this meditation: scientific studies have shown that it can prevent illnesses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
LampLight said:
As the old saying goes, the neti pot is in the mail. Thanks Ruth.
Lamplight--

Just a word of caution--when you use your neti pot make very sure (for your own comfort) that your saline solution is pretty mild.

The very first time I used one I put a little too much salt in and it turned a routine sinus flushing into a near-religious experience, complete with visions and reality altering sneezes. It felt like I poured fire into my nose.
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
Spooner said:
Lamplight--

Just a word of caution--when you use your neti pot make very sure (for your own comfort) that your saline solution is pretty mild.

The very first time I used one I put a little too much salt in and it turned a routine sinus flushing into a near-religious experience, complete with visions and reality altering sneezes. It felt like I poured fire into my nose.
Thanks, Spooner, for this word of caution. Instructions, which include the amount of salt and water, to use should be included with your neti pot. If not, PM me. Also be careful to use luke warm or tepid water.
Ruth
 

·
SOTW Administrator
Joined
·
26,247 Posts
AltoRuth said:
Not to worry (or hope), however. I know of no instances where a sax player who engaged in sinus flushing was seized with a sudden desire to burst into an operatic aria either vocally or instrumentally. I'm not sure, however, whether there were any observed increases in tendencies toward improvisation on themes by Puccini or Verdi. :)
My point was that opera singers wouldn't do it unless it worked.;)

I think it would improve improvisations if they used the amazing melodic sense that Puccini and Verdi showed.

I am, I admit, an opera lover, as well as a sax player.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top