Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :
this is a question to Selmer Mark VII owners and players.... I bought recently a 1978 Selmer Mark VII Tenor from a friend of mine. But, i found something that I do not have an explanation for it.
I used an Otto Link STM NY 6* , with my previous saxes, and I found that a reed strength of 3 went well with my previous saxes ( Oves ( Chinese ) and Yamaha YTS-275 ). but, with this Selmer I feel too much resistance, and asking the seller, he said that he used #2 reeds...
Is this because is a Selmer Mark VII ? or is a symptom of some non detected leaks ?
Do you need to use lower strength reeds with the same mouthpiece than you use with another sax ?
I appreciate your comments
Humbardi

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I’d say you likely have a leak.
My VII blows as easily as any of my other tenors.
Check for a leaking or I’ll fitting neck as well as checking pads and regulation.
When my neck was a loose fit it was more resistant to blow.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Flat : did you see my instrument from away ? exactly these two are the problems i have. The neck was recorked and it seems that the outside diameter of the cork is a little lower than the inner diameter of the Otto Link mouthpiece. And the neck is a little loose...

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the neck’s cork.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just as an experiment, you could try wrapping some teflon plumbers tape around the cork, so that the mouthpiece fits more tightly. It's not a good long term solution, however.

·
7,906 Posts
You can pack out the cork with some Teflon tape to suit you mouthpiece.
And you can also use a little on the neck as a temporary measure to see if this is where the problem is.
It’s not hard for a tech to expand your neck tenon if needed and you may as well have him recork the neck to better suit you piece.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the neck’s cork. it looks like the thickness is short

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is the neck’s cork. it looks like the thickness is short

How short the cork is matters a lot less than how wide it is -- the diameter, as you said above.

I'm assuming that the problem is either 1) when you push the mpc on so that it's tight, you're sharp, or 2) no matter how far you push it on, it never gets tight. In either case, wrapping the cork in teflon plumbers tape should help.

·
7,906 Posts
How short the cork is matters a lot less than how wide it is -- the diameter, as you said above.

I'm assuming that the problem is either 1) when you push the mpc on so that it's tight, you're sharp, or 2) no matter how far you push it on, it never gets tight. In either case, wrapping the cork in teflon plumbers tape should help.
I don’t believe he is having a problem with pitch, I believe it is an issue with resistance as in a leak of some sort.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have a damaged Pad...!!! View attachment 215126

I send the sax to a technician, who re-corked the neck, will be doing total maintenance and service, change the damaged pad, and adjust and leveling of the opening of the keys...Many thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Agree. Something going on with the horn. I play a 2.5 Legere Sig on a .110 tip opening D8M (on my Mark VII). Plays easily. Hard to imagine you would need to go down to a 2.0 on a Link NY 6*.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
I have a damaged Pad...!!! View attachment 215126

I send the sax to a technician, who re-corked the neck, will be doing total maintenance and service, change the damaged pad, and adjust and leveling of the opening of the keys...Many thanks for your opinions.
Great idea to send the horn to your tech. Looking at that pad, it's almost a certainty that there are other pads needing to be changed and the horn is full of leaks. It will play much better when you get it back, assuming your tech does all the necessary work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
I wonder if the seller would go to a 1.5 strength reed when a pad falls out? :shock:

Telling you to change reed strength to compensate for leaks is just wrong.

I do hope you can get the horn in good playing condition without excessive unanticipated cost.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have another question....if the sax has high resistance because of leaks, does these leaks can make more difficult to play low Bb note, C, C# D...?
I can play easily those lower notes, so I do not think I could have leaks, but I do not know , what could be the origin of the resistance.
The technician repadded the sax, adjusted heights, and made an overall maintenance. But, today I was playing the sax and I have to use a Java 2 reed with my Philtone Eclipse ( 0.105"opening ) when I used normally 2.5 or # 3 reeds with that mouthpiece ... Any suggestions ? What more to check ?

·
3,536 Posts
Ask yourself if this makes sense, and you will quickly find the answer is NO.

·
3,536 Posts
I would definitely try a different neck on that Mk Vll. Mark seven tenors are a mixture of some great, many average and some absolutely horrifically bad saxophones. I think the neck has a lot to do with it.

I have another question....if the sax has high resistance because of leaks, does these leaks can make more difficult to play low Bb note, C, C# D...?
I can play easily those lower notes, so I do not think I could have leaks, but I do not know , what could be the origin of the resistance.
The technician repadded the sax, adjusted heights, and made an overall maintenance. But, today I was playing the sax and I have to use a Java 2 reed with my Philtone Eclipse ( 0.105"opening ) when I used normally 2.5 or # 3 reeds with that mouthpiece ... Any suggestions ? What more to check ?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,953 Posts
I can play easily those lower notes, so I do not think I could have leaks,
I bought a TH & C alto, it played the easiest sublet most responsive low Bb I'v ever experienced with a saxophone.

I took it Stephen Howard for a set up, and he found several very obvious huge leaks in the stack keys. So just because the low Bb plays does not mean there are are no leaks.

However I believe if a saxophone plays like there are leaks (ie very resistant compare to other saxo[hones you try) then there probably are leaks. As in your case there can be various big leaks that aren't due to pads, and so do not show with a leak light.

I would definitely try a different neck on that Mk Vll. Mark seven tenors are a mixture of some great, many average and some absolutely horrifically bad saxophones. I think the neck has a lot to do with it.
Indeed, `I have heard of people reporting improvements in a MKVII by changing necks.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Having a tech check out the horn is a great idea....there may be one other explanation....pad heights... I played 3.5-4 reeds on my Meyer 8 for years....I had my key heights raised at a JEN conference...my 3.5s wouldn't play...I put a 3s on and it was fine....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts