Sax on the Web Forum banner

What do you play against to hear yourself?

• Against the wall

Votes: 89 53.6%
  • Into a corner

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • I have a better suggestion

Votes: 29 17.5%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I like playing into a wardrobe full of clothes.
I think it filters out some partials and gives a smoother tone.
that been said my tone is too pretty anyway (think Desmond) I could use more edge:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,029 Posts
Open field?

I used to play in to the studio window when I was teaching - aka the wall. Corners all seemed to have stuff in them.

·
14,268 Posts
I try to play in an open room, somewhere I can imagine PROJECTION to an opposite corner. Another factor is that if all of your practice is in a resonant room, you'll be in for a shock when you play a dead room on a gig.

I know it is rewarding to hear that horn's feedback in a "live" room or against a hard surface, but doing it a lot is not preparing you for the real world.

Lastly, when I DO play into a hard surface, it is usually a mirror within an old antique hall-tree. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
I actually prefer to do my practice in the upstairs of my barn. On the floor it's pretty dead with all of the hay and straw. At the top of the mow, it's like playing in an auditorium. I get plenty of feedback without bothering my family.

·
214 Posts
I usually play against the wall when trying out a reed. I can hear the overtones better as the bounces back to me.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I sometimes play in a small bathroom in my studio that has some nice natural reverb. I put a small pair of speakers in there so I can hear the backing tracks I practice with. It's four close walls and corners. As I turn around I get different effects.

In the studio I practice facing a full bookcase but not up close.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,981 Posts
I stopped playing in the corner after seeing The Blair Witch Project...

But seriously, I practice in a windowless basement office/music room. Got a piano and everything. I even added a drumset for more edge to my sound. The vibrations, you know...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,861 Posts
ok, I practice in the attic , under a slanted roof, this works well in reflecting sound (but not too much), yes, some corners have a very nice sound especially when you find the note (or rather frequency) which produces a certain resonance. I use to do this as a kid .......singing in empty rooms....great title for a ballad!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
bandmommy said:
I actually prefer to do my practice in the upstairs of my barn. On the floor it's pretty dead with all of the hay and straw. At the top of the mow, it's like playing in an auditorium. I get plenty of feedback without bothering my family.
Is the feedback from the cows, and do they like it? :)

I do the wall thing, and once in a rare while, I mike up and run the sax through a BOSS GT-8 for kicks.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
LampLight said:
Is the feedback from the cows, and do they like it? :) QUOTE]

No cows LampLight. Sheep!

If I'm having a good day they lay down and chew their cuds. Bad day, they go outside or make a lot of noise. So far they seem to prefer Ballads and Show Tunes. :D

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Good practice spots:

Woods.
Middle of fields.
Top of stairs.
Empty halls esp with wood floors.
Pointing at solid wood door.
Bathrooms and kitchens.

Actually it tends to be anywhere except where is actually practical!

On a regular, practical basis i like to point at a door for trying to improve tone and tuning.

·
2,768 Posts
I like corners a lot, since I feel like I get the fullest-sounding feedback on my own tone. Of course, I usually practice in the tiny practice rooms at school, so I need as much reverb as I can get. If I can't comfortably play into a corner, I generally try to use a window or a mirror. I feel like they sound better than the plain walls, although that might be psychological. Definitely better than the padded soundproofing panels on the walls.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
When i was working for the Los Angeles public defender i used to play in a concrete stairway that actually exits the courthouse about 10 stories up. It was concrete with fenced in windows that look out over LA. Great reverb and a cool view.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I don't like the sound of horns when they're "too direct", so I don't like walls or corners. Ideally, we want an environment w/ some reverb. However, as Dave Dolson said, the "real world" often doesn't have such acoustics. Best to practice in some acoustically dead environments form time to time, if not ALL the time.

I've always thought that if you can make your sax sound nice in a cramped practice room w/ no reverb, then you'll sound terrific just about anywhere else.

-Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I play in my bedroom, facing whereever is convenient at the time. I also have an acoustic guitar hanging on the wall which gives off a hair-curling feedback, really should get rid of that at some point... :twisted:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,921 Posts
Playing to a wall often sounds better, but not a good way to evaluate your sound as you are possibly getting back an unrealistic and flattering reflection of your actual sound. Ideally you want to hear yourself as others do, and unless you can do a gig where you play into a wall and get the audience to gather round you, then playing to a wall doesn't help your sound.

However I agree it does sometimes sound nicer than playing in a more dead space - and if it inspires you to come up with some ideas you wouldn't have come up with otherwise then why not? I just don't recommend it for checking on your tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
Play into a mic. Record yourself. Play back. Listen.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts