1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

While playing around with the new mic (AMT LS), I made this recording:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17042909/saxRecordings/AltissimoA.wav

It's the altissimo A on the alto sax. The 'arrrr' effect is deliberately added for the effect. This 'screamy, howling sound" can probably be used in rock / pop styles.

What is interesting is that I got very different responses from different people. Some liked it very much, others hated it. Please let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it means people like it, then :)
Thanks for the tip. I just started exercising by playing those thirds, fourths and arpeggios legato in altissimo register up to the higher E. That really helps me to get a good feel for those notes.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
It really makes a difference how you use the altissimo. When you hit one of those screaming high notes in the right place at the right time it can be very effective. This is true for any note, but is especially true for altissimo because it really stands out. If you overuse it or play it in the wrong context (I won't try to explain that), you'll quickly lose the audience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used it on the latest gig. I find it hard to resolve the solo after reaching the climax in those high notes. I definitely feel I have some musical maturity to undergo to integrate these notes tastefully. But people seemed to like it, which is good :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts