Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to keep practice as creative as possible. I used to try to memorize 'cool' licks but realized after years of practice that nothing was sticking. Now I start with a simple idea and move it around the horn. Inspired by Brecker's notebook pages, I started writing down the little fragments or musical ideas I play with. Nothing heavy and it's nothing I'd ever publish or would even show to anyone else. Just a way to look at what I've been playing with.

Anyone else keeping a notebook.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2017
185 Posts
i keep on telling myself i need to do this. I even bought a Zoom H2 to record my "ideas". But since i don't have a lot of time for music i would rather practice then fiddle around with technology.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have notebooks of ideas too. Not only little fragments or licks, but ideas for practice my technique, patterns,..Sometimes i try to put an organized plan..
But these year i am struggling to make a continuous approach to it so i have relaxed a lot. I am waiting for the summer to take it again.
Time is gold.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
going back 5 years. I write notes during and after lessons I take. I can tell you what I was working on 3 years ago. and if its the same thing as today I'd fire my teacher. K

·
Registered
397 Posts
I kept meticulous notes in college and then once I got into the world, my career as a teacher made my note-taking diminish. I try to, but not as much as I'd like. When I look back at my notes, OH BOY do I have a laugh! I had some good ideas, but I also had some BAD/HILARIOUS ideas.

Maybe this will inspire me to do this more often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts