Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I have main pieces for my instruments but always try to find matching mouthpieces to have ready and in the case. Sometimes it's a bit expensive so I try not to get exotic with my pieces.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have never really found two mouthpieces that play exactly alike. Each seems to have a slightly different personality. You are right that it could be an expensive proposition. It probably makes the most sense to have something that is playable for you with similar reeds to what you typically use, so that in a pinch you could pick it up and play. Sometimes there are pretty basic stock mouthpieces that you can use that are not too pricey.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I carry two mouthpieces, the lower baffle type and the higher baffle type. The one that is not used at the time serves as backup for the other in the event of a mouthpiece emergency (unrecoverable drop on a hard surface).

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I bought a second TK Acoustimax alto as backup; one is black resin, the other ivory, and they play pretty much identically. Recently, I was gifted a D'Addario Select Jazz tenor, which turns out to be a really good backup to my main TK Acoustimer tenor piece--not identical, but in the same ballpark, with a bit more brightness and edge.

But I've also been playing a Berg offset M tenor in two of my bands of late, and will need some kind of back-up piece. Rather than trying to hunt down another vintage Berg that plays as well, I'm considering a modern high-baffle piece such as an RPC, Sakshama, Drake Christlieb, or Saxscape Downtown. And yes, I have a Metalite that will work in a pinch, but it doesn't fit my tonal concept.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I’ve been trying for a while to find another EB Link STM 6 like the one I play but I do have an EB Tone Edge that I play too. It’s nice to be able to use the same reed strength for either one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I try not to get exotic with my pieces.
Me too.

exotic

adjective
originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.
"exotic birds"

synonyms: foreign, non-native, tropical
an exotic plant or animal.
"he planted exotics in the sheltered garden"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too.

exotic

adjective
originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.
"exotic birds"

synonyms: foreign, non-native, tropical
an exotic plant or animal.
"he planted exotics in the sheltered garden"
I'd go with #3 but definitely not #4 :)

#3 : strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual - exotic flavors
#4 : of or relating to striptease - exotic dancing

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,056 Posts
I tend to keep spare mouthpieces (SATB) in my music bag rather than in the instrument case. These spares are in case of emergency back-ups so I aim for decent, playable pieces rather than ones that are very similar to my main (best) mouthpieces.

Rhys

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes,
I have a backup mputhpiece for all saxes,
I keep them usually in instrument cases, sometimes on a shelf or in a cabinet (during exercise).
But when I have a performance in a more "risky" place, I put them to other box or case. Why?
When I was a child, my grandfather used to say: "... keep money in different pockets, if they rob you, it's not all at once ...", ha ha ...
Because I play the most tenor, I bought the same one as a spare (I feel it plays actually almost the same).
For alto it is the same type (Meyer based), but these are other manufacturers, I feel they play a bit differently, primary is better for my embouchure engine.
For soprano the same manufacturer, the other model, and primary is better for my embouchure engine.
Well, I see complete lack of consistency, but it works as for me.
Apparent lack of consistency, but it works for me, it just worked out.

·
Vendor
15,590 Posts
In the old days, I used to carry a lower baffle and a higher baffle piece in the case, and depending on the gig, I would pick one or the other.
I have never felt the need to carry a matching back up for any reason, but having those two gave me comfort at the time, that I always had what I needed.
Since I started making my own 10MFAN mouthpieces, I am completely satisfied with one mouthpiece doing everything I could possibly need for all the gigs.

I don’t think there’s a right answer or wrong answer here. Carry a back up if you want to, or don’t.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,770 Posts
I had a back-up tenor piece but I got rid of it recently. If you're going to have one, you should play it fairly frequently. Since no two mouthpieces are really the same, I found this to be another irritant in the complex gig scenario I have built for myself, involving sometimes using four horns (sop, alt, ten, bar) and almost always alt, ten and bar. My primary intent was to have at least a back-up tenor piece so if everything else got stolen I could at least gig on my back-up tenor. So now I simply have only the mouthpieces I use on the four horns. I always have been careful with mouthpieces but now I am super-careful handling them and double-checking before leaving the gig.
I play an original Guardala on tenor, and even though its insured, there's really little chance of finding another one that plays the same. I found that the Barkley 'Killer 9' hybrid mouthpiece is very much like the Guardala 'King' and I did play a couple of gigs on it but lately it just didn't seem to work for me anymore - I think my embouchure 'rejected' it. LOL. So I'm without a back-up but here in the twilight of my sax-playing years where I'm doing only 15 to 20 gigs a year, I'm not going to 'wear-out' my mouthpieces and probably will not break any of them, so I think they will last as long as I do.

·
14,302 Posts
Yes, I keep back-up mouthpieces in my cases. When I was playing in bands, I'd have a soprano, alto, and a clarinet at the gig, so I had back-up pieces for those instruments. They would be similar pieces OR at least they played similarly.

I also considered the playing environment in theory (having pieces that could compensate for the room's acoustical qualities) but practically speaking, I never changed mouthpieces or reeds because of that. My main purpose was to have a back-up should something inadvertently happen to my main mouthpiece. I even brought along a back-up soprano (my main axe) that stayed in my car.

I want to comment about only having one mouthpiece for a horn. I am so thankful that I never got into the trade/sell-away-one when buying another mouthpiece. I realize that some may not be able to afford a second mouthpiece, but when I bought a new mouthpiece, I kept the one I was replacing. Over the years, I've collected quite a few mouthpieces and I've enjoyed re-visiting them from time-to-time. I even re-consider them as my embouchure changes and I'm now favoring some pieces I put away years ago.

So, my advice to others would be to keep your discarded mouthpieces, if possible. You will enjoy them years later. DAVE

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,972 Posts
I have a backup mouthpiece in my case, one in my office, one in every room in my house hidden in secret places, one in my car, one in my wife's car, one in a safe deposit box at the bank and one hidden deep in the woods in Canada in case a nuclear holocaust occurs. Like Voldemort's horcruxes, you must dispurse these items around the globe . If they are found and destroyed we sax players will wither away and die and embarrassing death.............

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I keep a second mouthpiece in the case, but its not that similar. I am looking for a twin to my primary, just waiting for the right price. I missed one on Ebay this morning, overslept...but there's another, at a higher price. Getting close to just forking over the $$.

·
13,068 Posts
In case I drop dead tomorrow I had all my pieces added to the seed vault in the arctic.

That way they can be planted and create new mpc trees for prosperity.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,972 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
In case I drop dead tomorrow I had all my pieces added to the seed vault in the arctic.

That way they can be planted and create new mpc trees for prosperity.
Prosperity or posterity?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts