Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I betting that many members have at least one project on hand. Why? Or Why not?

Make it fun, list your gem(s) acquired. Tall tales and colorful stories included.
Finished gems count too (encourages others) before and after pictures!

The basic excuse list for having one...or more
1-Was a gift
2-Steal, Good buy, couldn’t pass it up
3-Great candy package with it, didn’t buy for the horn,never sold it
4-Helped friend in need of money
5-Charity auction buy
6-It looked unwanted, needed loving home
7-For backup use
8-Was told they sound good
9-A friend has one
10-Got GAS!
11-Needed for parts but wrong model
12-Had room in closet
13-Bar weapon
14-Complete denial but have some (you’re sick and in good company)
15-I have no idea / can’t remember ( don’t confess this to significant other, BF,GF or Wife.)
16-Going to fix and gift to student.
17-To learn repair work....someday.
18-Spare, have two others just like it.
19-Was my first new sax in 1920, needs overhaul
20-Travel souvenir
21-Had one in my youth
22-fun project
23-I like (Country) horns
24-Have the alto/tenor and wanted the matching alto/tenor
25-Intended for display, folk art craft object, lamp, flower vase or vintage car racing accessory
26-Dreaming of opening a museum someday
27-Just finished one and needed another
Or add you own line of reasoning lol I’m sure there’s still some good ones.
If you don’t have a project. Express your wisdom as to why not.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Royal Artist 3,5,16
Martin 2,8
Conn 16m 4
Conn 14m 6,17,24
L&H 15,13

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Academy (Schlenkaar. sp?) 2, 10, 17

·
7,906 Posts
Dolnet Belair silver plated tenor.
Martin committee III Baritone sax.

I have worked up a few Dolnet tenors in the past and all of them have been great players.
This time I’m planning on keeping hold of it.
The Martin was originally bought as a parts horn and in case my much nicer already overhauled Martin required it in he future.
But recently my “Good” Martin went back to its previous owner, so I plan to get this one into good playing condition in an attempt to replace it.
Chances are both will be sitting on the shelf for some time as I have other perfectly functional horns to play.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have a Martin Imperial alto, the student model, in my closet. It actually has a very nice and sweet sound to it but there is a problem with it. I'm not sure what it is but it will play great for a while then when I go to the palm keys something happens and I can't get a sound out of it. There's that and the fact that it is the most butt-ugly sax I think I've ever seen. The lacquer is very dark and has numerous circular dings where someone has tried to take out small dents but chipped off the lacquer leaving these small "bullet holes" all over the bell. Since I paid about $100 for it, and invested not much after the purchase other than having a local tech adjust it and replace a couple of pads, I'm thinking of taking it apart and removing the ugly-as* lacquer, then I'll find what's causing the intermittent lack of playability.

I'm the kind of guy that likes a clean looking horn. The shinier and newer looking the better. I want to make it look nice even if it's just bare brass with a natural patina. If I could remove all that ugly lacquer and get it playing I think it would make a nice horn. It sure does have a nice sound to it. The only word I can come up with is sweet. It's just very pleasing to the ear. I'm retired and pretty much disabled with back problems so working on this old pretty-much-worthless-sax might just be a fun project.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dolnet Belair silver plated tenor.
Martin committee III Baritone sax.

I have worked up a few Dolnet tenors in the past and all of them have been great players.
This time I’m planning on keeping hold of it.
The Martin was originally bought as a parts horn and in case my much nicer already overhauled Martin required it in he future.
But recently my “Good” Martin went back to its previous owner, so I plan to get this one into good playing condition in an attempt to replace it.
Chances are both will be sitting on the shelf for some time as I have other perfectly functional horns to play.
Sounds like a combination of 12, 18, and a little tiny bit of 11.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Martin Imperial alto, the student model, in my closet. It actually has a very nice and sweet sound to it but there is a problem with it. I'm not sure what it is but it will play great for a while then when I go to the palm keys something happens and I can't get a sound out of it. There's that and the fact that it is the most butt-ugly sax I think I've ever seen. The lacquer is very dark and has numerous circular dings where someone has tried to take out small dents but chipped off the lacquer leaving these small "bullet holes" all over the bell. Since I paid about $100 for it, and invested not much after the purchase other than having a local tech adjust it and replace a couple of pads, I'm thinking of taking it apart and removing the ugly-as* lacquer, then I'll find what's causing the intermittent lack of playability.

I'm the kind of guy that likes a clean looking horn. The shinier and newer looking the better. I want to make it look nice even if it's just bare brass with a natural patina. If I could remove all that ugly lacquer and get it playing I think it would make a nice horn. It sure does have a nice sound to it. The only word I can come up with is sweet. It's just very pleasing to the ear. I'm retired and pretty much disabled with back problems so working on this old pretty-much-worthless-sax might just be a fun project.
Looking like you have the 2,6,17 & 22 project plan. Yes I just added 21 & 22

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Academy alto (JK Tone King III):
  • 2-Steal at $23, couldn’t pass it up
  • 7-For backup use
  • 8-Read that these JK's sound good
  • 10-Got GAS!

and a new reason:

• 23-I like German horns
King 613 alto:
  • 19-Was my first sax in 2002, needs overhaul
B&H Oxford tenor (Kohlert Bixley):
  • 2-Good buy, couldn’t pass it up
  • 3-Great candy package with it
  • 7-For backup use

and yet another new line of reasoning (because we need as many as we can get!):

• 24-Have an alto just like it and wanted to try the tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,027 Posts
“24-Have an alto just like it and wanted to try the tenor.”

That’s a good one and done that! I’ve had too many horns pass through my hands/garage rafters over the past 20 years to list them all!

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
“24-Have an alto just like it and wanted to try the tenor.”
I’ve had too many horns pass through my hands/garage rafters over the past 20 years to list them all!
Had to add 23 & 24 to excuse list. I’m guilty of 24.
So Jerry maybe you can list one that is most memorable?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Yeah, #23 is really causing me some divided loyalties. As much as I love my awesome Zephyr alto and TH&C tenor, these super-cheap Bohemian Kohlerts and JK-inspired Armstrongs give 'em a run for their (not insubstantial) money. My Kohlerts's keywork isn't as supple, and the Armstrong's not as solid, but their tones are all really special.

Of course, a Buescher's got some German blood too, if you go back far enough, and H.N. White began importing Kohlerts around 1910. So maybe my personal taste in horns is fairly predictable after all.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course, a Buescher's got some German blood too, if you go back far enough, and H.N. White began importing Kohlerts around 1910. So maybe my personal taste in horns is fairly predictable after all.
Lol that’s like somebody asking me if I’m American and I answer yes. Then they ask what tribe. I answer mixed nuts & fruits from California tribe. My personal taste in saxophones relates to that “mixed” part.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,027 Posts
Had to add 23 & 24 to excuse list. I’m guilty of 24.
So Jerry maybe you can list one that is most memorable?
Ok, 21 and it was more like early 2000 when I bought a “new” Keilwerth SX90R Anniversary Alto which was very extravagant at the time. First new horn I ever bought and it was a sweet horn! Kids started going to college, horns started getting sold off, a very sad tale... On a positive note, my girls got through college debt free! Horn I bought was a New King Alto and though a nice horn, not the same and will be for sale sometime soon.

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bue In line ( Royal Artist). The entertainment is bringing this one back to life. Already amazing what I got out of 10 minutes of fingernail polish remover. I bought it for the mouthpiece that was in the case. Amazing how somebody did such a nice job paining it gold. It’s getting a cleaning and full repad. Stacks are in great shape,neck too.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Several: Zephyr special tenor and alto
Silver king alto. 20's x2
Holton 232
King vol tru2 tenor
1920s Martin alto gold plated
More that I have forgotten......because
I am a sax hoarder.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cut the bell off of a Yamaha 21 and used it for a megaphone exhaust pipe end on a hot rod Model A. Gave what was left of that sax to a friend. He said he was going to make a lamp with it.
Using a saxophone for creative endeavors other than making music 25.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Super 20 that has become my main squeeze came out of a pile of trash. I was tasked with cleaning out a vacant building that used to be a little mom 'n pop music store, the kind that are hard to come by these days. The back room used to be their repair shop; in fact, I'd had my alto tuned up there 10 years ago. Under the rotting garbage was 99.9% of a S20 tenor, in pieces, including a mangled silver neck!
Several months at my local tech and a couple visits to NOLA for neck repair later, I have the best sax I've played.

26 - Gifted to you by Fate ?

View attachment 232350

·
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rhythmisking....someday 17. Rebuilds are worth it if you use it long enough IMHO. But YOU have to like it.
Saxcop, standby I’ll be adding #26
Tom West, see #25..... I can’t quit laughing....see you at Willow Springs.
Typist, Wow! What a save! Lucky you! (#2 gift) but you definitely received a gift of fate!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,818 Posts
1895 Evette Schaeffer alto
I was going to restore it to pass around to students at sax history lectures. I looks almost exactly like an original Adolphe Sax alto and it has a double octave key. Then I restored a real 1876 Adolphe Sax alto, so the Evette kind of got lost in the shuffle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts