Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been making a list of things to get under my fingers. I find having the list up means I dont dwell on one thing (practice what i can already do) for too long and it keeps practice intersting. I was wondering what other forum members have on their list. Mine looks something like:

Major scales, full range
Aeolian Minor scales, full range
Harmonic minor scales, full range
Arpeggios over minor, major and dominant chords, spelt from the root
Arpeggios over minor, major and dominant chords, spelt from any chord tone (my current challenge)
Arpeggios and Guide tones over tunes.
Digitals
Play some 2-5-1's out of Steve Neff's book.
Play some Mintzer etudes with Bob
Diminished and half diminished arpegggios
Diminished and half diminish scales
Bebop scales

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,912 Posts
I have a very long list, and it's all (mostly) published in Taming The Saxophone vol 3. It's what I practised over the last 30 years and still do.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a quite similar list to yours, plus there's another list of songs to learn and still another with solos to transcribe. But I often find myself stuck to the first list and never get to actually playing some music.

Btw, how do you like Mintzer's etudes? I was thinking about getting them, but cannot find them over here.

Regards,

Thomas

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Btw, how do you like Mintzer's etudes? I was thinking about getting them, but cannot find them over here

Thomas
I have the blues and funk one, which is at a level I can play. My reading is pretty ordinary so I find them very useful. I also like trying to match his tone which I really dig

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Agree with dogbert - The most important list is a REPERTOIRE to commit to memory, melody and changes. That will do more for your playing than the list. Use the great artists to reference the music from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts