Sax on the Web Forum banner

Do you get asked specifically to play soprano?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's interesting that a couple of members have given advice to a potential soprano player to the effect that no one asks them to gig on soprano. I'd also made the same observation in another post.

It started me a-thinking about this as a phenomenon.

My own experience is that I bring the sop along to gigs where I've been hired as either a tenor player, clarinet player or general reedist. Playing it is mostly tolerated. Sometimes I get surprised looks (surprised that it wasn't as bad as they though it was going to be, I think).

I find other musicians offer negative opinions about soprano way more than any other saxophone.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My experience is similar to yours with playing it on other gigs. I double on it a good bit on contemporary big band charts. Also, I am sometimes hired to play a church musical oboe part solely on soprano. Good oboe players are hard to find in some areas. I enjoy it quite a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
I've been out of college and playing professionally for 5 years now. I've been asked to bring a soprano only once. My soprano is a piece of crap so I borrowed a friends. Then I ended up not needing it after all.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I'm told "be sure and bring your soprano, too."

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
I think the last time I gigged on soprano was almost 3 years ago.

I don't play it much because it's in bad shape and I can't justify the expense of an overhaul. I prefer playing clarinet anyways.

Sometimes I think I should sell it, but I fear I'll regret it later.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Only when Kenny G is sick lol

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
I voted "often". I have done many soprano-only gigs with duos and trios. Soprano is great for dinner music. I've used soprano in big bands when I didn't have a clarinet with me. I use it at church sometimes. Every holiday season, a guitarist friend and I line up a bunch of duo gigs where I play C-soprano, flute and tenor recorder. We just read from the same book with no rehearsals. Those are definately the most stress free gigs I ever have.

Most calls I get to play (what little sax work there is out there nowadays) are for tenor, then soprano then alto and lastly bari. Hadn't had a bari gig in 5 years.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I've used soprano in big bands when I didn't have a clarinet with me.
One of my "pet peeves" is guys that think the soprano is interchangeable with the clarinet. I got called a while back to sub on the show "Aint Misbehavin' " and the sax player made a soprano book out of the clarinet book. Blasphemy!

Q. How many sax players does it take to tune a soprano sax?
A. None. It ain't possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Last year, a group of music school teachers invite me to start a new band, but since there was no clarinets I had to play the clarinet parts narrowing the range with my soprano. Now we have two clarinets and a lot of clarinet students. I think I will get fired..no soprano parts!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
One of my "pet peeves" is guys that think the soprano is interchangeable with the clarinet. I got called a while back to sub on the show "Aint Misbehavin' " and the sax player made a soprano book out of the clarinet book. Blasphemy!
Blasphemy, o god to music? Be as peeved as you want. Me, I'll take the gig and cover a part on soprano as the leader asks. I'll cover the part on kazoo if he wants, have a fine time doing it and get paid.

Q. How many sax players does it take to tune a soprano sax?
A. None. It ain't possible.
Go be a trash-talking troll on some other forum, really.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
For me, it's a double on big band books. Sometimes I'll play it in a combo setting if they do contemporary stuff, but it's not really my favorite horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
It's been my experience that most players do not put in the time to get the soprano thing together. They may buy the 'right horn' or mouthpiece seldom putting in regular practice. It's all show and blow, usually pitchy, loud, and hard sounding. Then everyone blames the instrument and rarely the player.

There's also the issue of tonal concept. Show up and play like Lacy, Contrane, or Leibman at a wedding and the phone will never ring again. I even find G-man's tone a bit hard.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,677 Posts
It's been my experience that most players do not put in the time to get the soprano thing together........
For a long while, before playing alto and clarinet, my main horns where tenor-soprano-flute, so I did put in a lot of time on it.
When I pick up the soprano today I find that the time I accorded to it allows me to regain, after a while, most of the facility I once had on it.
My tone, intonation and range are all there.
I have a Mark VI, not an "easy playing" soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
My comments are not direct at anyone specifically. It's usually the casual player that creates the 'soprano' misconception.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,077 Posts
It's interesting that a couple of members have given advice to a potential soprano player to the effect that no one asks them to gig on soprano. I'd also made the same observation in another post.

It started me a-thinking about this as a phenomenon.

My own experience is that I bring the sop along to gigs where I've been hired as either a tenor player, clarinet player or general reedist. Playing it is mostly tolerated. Sometimes I get surprised looks (surprised that it wasn't as bad as they though it was going to be, I think).

I find other musicians offer negative opinions about soprano way more than any other saxophone.
Yep, my sop has been under my bed for 10 years. I find that 99% of players I see and hear playing them (who are decent players on alto/tenor)are horrendous on it, that probably has something to do with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
One of my "pet peeves" is guys that think the soprano is interchangeable with the clarinet.
I wouldn't say interchangeable. But having never put in the true effort to learn the clarinet, if our clarinet player isn't available to do a dixieland gig, I'll cover on soprano. One of my sopranos is black lacquered and your average audience member is going to assume it's a clarinet. I don't even correct them anymore should they come up and compliment my "clarinet playing". I don't do this often though, but it's about the only time I'll be on a primary soprano gig.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts