Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have hit 30 or so songs on a commute drive I have and I always jump to the next tune after the sax solo? I guess no patience for the fluff?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I skip whenever there's a lengthy piano intro or drum solo. Guess I'm just not into percussion.

·
Formerly mdavej
1,324 Posts
Depends on why you are listening. If I just want to enjoy the song as the composer and performers intended, I listen to the whole thing. If I'm trying to analyze the sax (or piano/guitar/trumpet/etc.) solo, I'll replay it over and over.

I personally like to hear solos from all kinds of different instruments, even drums :)

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
Never, unless I'm listening to some pop music for the Brecker solo someone posted on SOTW.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,024 Posts
Only if I'm listening to a recording I made with my band! :) (just kidding, sort of)

No, I generally prefer to listen to the whole tune; the tune as a whole is more interesting than simply isolating a given solo. Unless of course I'm trying to learn parts of the solo, but that's a whole different thing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, Keith, no not always, there’s too much other music to listen to. Bluegrass (Hillbilly Jazz) solos on fiddle or mandolin, klezmer clarinet, early jazz/ trad jazz clarinet before the sax was commonly used. But I know what you mean, we have ears for what interests us, so sometimes we don’t have patients to listen to some lame Bill Frisell wannabe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts