1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Put me out of my misery, 'where is Joe?'

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
No thank you, Pete ;) . I did for a moment consider whether I might have something to offer in terms of kazoo playing and shirt ironing but I'm not sure I would be fully appreciated.

Gosh that was scary. And funny. But mainly scary.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's a classic. Sounds like he studied the Buddy Rich tapes.

I went to see the movie "Ocean's 13" over the summer, and in the first few minutes of the film, Al Pacino's character utters lines from both the Buddy tapes ("What, I gotta carry you, and pay you too?") and the Paul Anka tape ("... and when I move, I slice like a g**d*** hammer!). :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
No sense being a professional musician if you are an amature human being.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
vonbraig said:
No sense being a professional musician if you are an amature human being.
Paul Anka is an Entertainer. Professional musicians work for HIM.:)

I wouldn't work for him though. I have friends that have walked off tour busses of famous entertainers for less than the tongue lashing that those guys were getting.

I figure Joe must be the sound guy. He's probably loading the truck.;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,458 Posts
Yanno, I may not appreciate his method but I surely do appreciate the message.

In that situation, you gotta remember it is his a** on the line first and foremost. We're not talking about a couple hundred dollars for a bar gig. Those are big money shows, and all the pressure falls on him. If his band is screwing up, showing up in jeans and T-shirts, they need to know about it. When he says "I'm the only important one on that stage." he is absolutely correct. There is no conceit in that statement. As he so aptly puts it, "That's just the @#$%#$%#$ way it is." Nobody is buying a ticket to see the trombone player except the bone player's Mom. When he says "You're all replaceable." he is absolutely correct. The only person performing in the Paul Anka show that can't be replaced is Paul Anka. Actually he is being pretty lenient giving them a week to straighten things out. I would imagine a lot of performers of that caliber would be less forgiving.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
I agree that he's under a lot of pressure (although, I gotta say Entertainers are treated pretty nice), and that it's his money and his gig etc. I know that whether you're on lights or sound or stage manager, or backup singer/musician that you're replaceable.

But NO ONE can buy the 'right' to be as verbally abusive as some of these guys are. I have NEVER let anyone talk to me that way since I was 25 and I was married to her. I would've been GONE before two minutes were up (I've actually done this). Either that or Guido (or maybe Joe) would've been pulling me off his a**.

Slavery is illegal, don't let bandleaders think they own you.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,883 Posts
I've worked with Anka on a couple of occasions. I'd heard that clip before I did, so I was cautious. He was quite gracious with the band, and even took us out to dinner after one of the shows, since he felt that the rehearsal had been tedious for us.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Merlin said:
I've worked with Anka on a couple of occasions. I'd heard that clip before I did, so I was cautious. He was quite gracious with the band, and even took us out to dinner after one of the shows, since he felt that the rehearsal had been tedious for us.
I think he was angry at his crew, and 'music director' types, not sidemen.
Maybe he heard the clip, too. ;)

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did he say "When I move, I slice like a ****** hammer"???

Favorite comment out of all of it: "And you know how fast I move."

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, it's his a** on the line and all that, but I couldn't help feeling like he was a Frank Sinatra wanna-be....I thought it was heavy-handed and over the top...

Brian

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
"I'm the only important one on that stage"? Give me a break! That's like saying the waiter is the only one who gets your food to the table.

A great leader motivates from the heart not from his assss!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
hakukani said:
I admire the bone player for sticking up for himself. I can't believe he didn't have the bus pull over and get out!
I agree. And he was so polite too (for an Australian ;) ). I actually didn;t think Buddy sounded anything like as much of a as Anka. To me he sounded very tired and stressed. Anka sounded to me like he was just enjoying the power and bullying his employees for a bit of fun. Nonetheless, taken out of context, these clips can always be a bit unfair. Some people do "lose it" now and then but it's understood within their circle as "his bark is worse than his bite" kind of thing. IMHO.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts