119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your prefered position?

I mean to practice....;)

:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Depends on the instrument. Sax and flute, standing up. Clarinet, double reeds, brass, sitting down.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,226 Posts
Both. Sometimes I pace.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Practice both. Mostly standing... but know how to play sitting is important too, if you play in a bigband or whatever.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I do both. If I'm just playing scales/etudes or improvising I prefer to stand. If I'm working on something like transcribing I sit to make it seem less taxing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,209 Posts
Sitting

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Standing and pacing or moving... Sometimes I will blow some soprano or recorder sitting but mostly standing for saxs...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
I do it as often and any way I can. As I've gotten older, I just don't do it as frequently.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Both to avoid strain due to a prolonged posture. I'd rather play standing up most of the time though but it's too much for my back and my feet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point about depending on what instument you play. I hadn't thought of that. :) i play sax in a Wind band so obviously sit then. When practicing at home I do both and yes to a bit of pacing too. Thanks for the replies. 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
8,472 Posts
Standing - on stage.

Because if you can't practice on stage, where can you practice? ;)

Notes ♫

·
Registered
163 Posts
Standing, because I tend to "hunch" my shoulders up when I sit; bad habit which hurts my air stream support; when I stand I have an easier time keeping my shoulders relaxed and my diaphragm engaged.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I have a reclining chair with footrest that propping the end of my sop on my knee allows pretty much the same as standing posture and abdomen position with the relaxation being on one's back. Definitely the lazy man's way. Truth is I spend some time standing some sitting and some reclining.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts