Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
No. There are many things you can do, like overtones and humming along with what you're playing but what she does I think may be unique - and incredible.

·
Premium Member
15,479 Posts
I wouldn't want her to sing me to sleep at night, but that is very cool....thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Simply amazing. I wish she would have talked a bit about how it is done, for example what changes are made in the oral cavity to produce the overtone. This was the first time I have heard the term "overtone scale". You learn something every day.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never heard anything like that come from a human throat! Tibetan throat-singing uses some of these techniques. Ondar Kongar-ol, who performed with Bela Fleck, amazes me but that lady is in another league!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, multiphonics can be played on the saxophone. The effect is far different from that of the singer in the video.

I'm very aware of multiphonics, what she's doing is beyond what I've heard people do on horn with 'em. I've yet to hear someone do counter point like she's doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out Pedro Saxo. He did a ton of incredible things with extended techniques and the saxophone. This piece in particular comes to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fJGtg7VM4c

It's possible to play the fundamental and have overtones be heard on the saxophone! Pedro is doing it some in the link above. It all starts with working on the overtone series!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts