Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I’ve recently bought a baritone and it came with a berklee London case, that doesn’t offer any protection. I also need backpack straps, so the Selmer flight case and the bam Hightech are my only options (I’ve read to many bad things about the Protec). I’d prefer the Selmer since it’s cheaper, easier to acquire and smaller (and much less hideous... even though that’s not really relevant), but there are some old threads about how bad the bam produced Selmer cases are in comparison to the Hightech. Is this still true or did bam by any chance Up the production quality of the Selmer cases?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the latches is missing on the Berkeley and it’s located in Germany, so shipping would be a costly. ;)

Also, I just read this comment about the bam Hightech... seems like all the choices ar wrong. :(
„I now use the BAM case and it's pretty good. Very lightweight. The wheels work well unless the pavement is uneven (as someone mentioned). One time, the G# cluster got bent inside the case after being dropped only 2 inches onto an upholstered car seat. The BAM will accommodate both low A and low Bb horns. One of the latches broke in the first 2 weeks I owned it. No response from BAM's usa office, but the case still closes well with the other 3 latches“

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
Where have you read “ bad “ things about the protec?

Lots of very positive comments on this forum., and if you want to buy a BAM baritone case you are anything but POOR.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where have you read “ bad “ things about the protec?

Lots of very positive comments on this forum., and if you want to buy a BAM baritone case you are anything but POOR.
I’ve seen posts on this forum about the protects starting to break down fairly quickly (this is also the experience I have made with “Protec style” cases). There are also reports of horns being damaged badly (I don’t remember which thread these were in, otherwise I’d link to them) while in a Protec.
The bari will more or less live in a room at my university (where I’m not allways in control of what happens to it, who bumps into it), be hauled around by me there every day for classes/practice in different buildings and whenever I need it somewhere (at least twice a week) else I’ll have to transport it by bike or public transport.

Regarding my financial situation: A good case is cheaper than regular trips to the repair man. It’s also cheaper than a car. And it can be paid for with nonexistent money. I’ve also gotten pretty good at keeping my costs of living low.

·
38,840 Posts
I have had (and still) protecs for many years, nowhere have I seen any damage or wear anywhere on the case (provided you don’t drag them on the floor, which I have never done).

I have never broken a Zip and had any accident happening to the inside.

I have had all the cases from soprano to baritone.

Unlike you I have owned many protects over the years, I have this first hand. I don’t need to rely on others to know they are sturdy and incredibly well padded.

I have also owned three BAM’s (not a baritone model) which I always found way too heavy (and expensive).

As for the not being “ poor’. My comment was relative to your moniker which is : Poor But saxy, well, if you want to buy a BAM you can’t be poor.

I don’t need your financials.

My best example of how sturdy the Protecs are is the fact that I fell on my back with the tenor on my back and not only I wasn’t damaged but I didn’t damage my horn with my 120Kg.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
I've had the same Protec bari case since 2006, it's carried 3 different baris over the years. I am only recently looking into replacing it, but it has been excellent in protection through school, teaching and gigging.

I even took it with me on my bicycle in school. I don't recommend it, but it worked!

·
38,840 Posts
well, 12 years is not a bad run, how many trips to the repairman were dut TO THE CASE? My guess is that they were none.

Protec is one of the few cases that I would ship a horn in (even in the hull of a plane) knowing that it will reemerge fo sure without any problems.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Add some padding and fix the latch on the Berkeley. That what I’ve done to my tenor case. Especially at the top and around the bottom. It’s not hard to do. Just pull off the rubber lip and the fabric comes off. Glue in some firm foam and it it will hold the horn tighter.
These are still the smallest cases I’ve found.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
I was a repairman for 30 years. I saw a lot of damaged Selmer baritones because of the Bam/Selmer case - terrible. On the other hand, the silver Bam baritone case is terrific for Selmer baritones. For other brands, I don't know.
I have used mine for around 15 years. It isn't completely foolproof, but it has saved my Mark VI baritone several times during extreme and potentially disasterous accidents. Only once did the horn require a minor repair. All the latches and hinges work perfectly. I just replaced the original wheels myself with identical new wheels from Bam USA (cost-$20).
I got one of the first Bam hightech cases when they were cheaper, and cost is the only reason I don't buy another one for my other baritone. The silver Bam is definitely worth the money. The only other bomb-proof option I know of is the Wiseman, and they are around $2500.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Yeah, outside of a custom case like a Wiseman or Manning any standard production bari case is going to have some compromises involved. The Protec isn't perfect but it has a fair amount of padding and can be customized to fit your horn pretty snuggly. It's likely it will be the lightest of the options that come with backpack straps especially if the others you're considering have wheels. I have an MTS case that been factory customized to fit Yani baris that offers more protection but it's also much heavier. I've had a Protec bari case for about 10 years and I've been using Protec tenor cases for about 25 years with no issues and I believe if you take reasonable care of them you won't have any problems.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
well, 12 years is not a bad run, how many trips to the repairman were dut TO THE CASE? My guess is that they were none.
You have guessed well! Main reason I've started looking to replace it is the zipper starting to break down after all these years. I'm sure I can have it fixed if I so desire, but we've had a good run, I can always get another!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You have guessed well! Main reason I've started looking to replace it is the zipper starting to break down after all these years. I'm sure I can have it fixed if I so desire, but we've had a good run, I can always get another!
Mine as well. The zipper on my original Protec tenor case began to jam up a bit after 15+ years of use. It still works and I use the old case for one of the tenors I have that I don't play much. I have a newer one that I use daily for rehearsals and gigs. I'm not sure you can do much better without spending a lot more money.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up ordering both a protec and a bam to compare them. They arrived today. The fit is good in both cases... the fit in the protec could me a little tighter, but the mold in the bam does not seem to fit perfectly either (probably due to two molds being combined). I like the mouthpiece/neck storage in the protec better. The backpack system of the protec is better as well. I don't need wheels on my case. In the end it comes down to protection. Since both cases can't protect the horn in major accidents and are equally reliable (unreliable) in minor ones (from what I've read), I am going to go with the protec.

·
38,840 Posts
I’d call falling on my back onto a saxophone “ a major accident” ( me, the horn and the case all survived without any problems) but not it won’t protect the inside if you crush it with a car. I was 120Kg at the time and falling from my 183cm develops a substantial energy though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I own all these cases and more, Manning, Protec, BAM, Walt Johnson, and Calzone flight cases. None are good enough for checking a horn except for my Calzone (Anvil) case with my horn in a Cronkhite gig bag inside. I've had horns get damaged on airplanes in both a Protec, and BAM. I think the Protec isn't nearly as well made as the BAM and feels somewhat junky. I would never use that case on the road and have only kept it in my house because of the zipper and cheap build. If possible I'd suggest a Manning which is what I tour with unless I am playing multiple horns, in which case I will check my baritone in my Calzone case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
What is wrong with the Selmer Bari flight, except the fact it weighs a “dead horse” ? I consider it to have largeley contributed to the excellent general shape of my bari, still original pads from 96, no dent, almost new lacquer. Am I missing something ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
What is wrong with the Selmer Bari flight, except the fact it weighs a “dead horse” ? I consider it to have largeley contributed to the excellent general shape of my bari, still original pads from 96, no dent, almost new lacquer. Am I missing something ?
Are you talking about the same model Selmer case ? Mine is like this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/selmer_fl...MI4byx-6vU3wIVL7vtCh0sOwRLEAQYASABEgI6mvD_BwE

On mine, the latches are not good at all. often getting stuck. The case shell is quite flimsy, but the internal padding is shaped very well to fit my Serie III. If they used better latches it would be fine for my (gentle) weekly usage as the size is quite small, weight is low and the hinge, handles and straps seem good.

Rhys

PS The price is quite ridiculous !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Are you talking about the same model Selmer case ? Mine is like this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/selmer_fl...MI4byx-6vU3wIVL7vtCh0sOwRLEAQYASABEgI6mvD_BwE

On mine, the latches are not good at all. often getting stuck. The case shell is quite flimsy, but the internal padding is shaped very well to fit my Serie III. If they used better latches it would be fine for my (gentle) weekly usage as the size is quite small, weight is low and the hinge, handles and straps seem good.

Rhys

Rhys
Mine is the older version, with the dumb beige Selmer logo on the side. I admit that the latches aren’t the best, but the horn is really well padded and protected. No picture on hand, sorry.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts