Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing long tones the other day and was very very sharp, for no reason, out of the blue.
I figured it was just a bad day but then switched to a new reed (I use Java Red 2.5 on tenor) and was right back in tune.

Is this a known thing or just a coincidence I am seeing?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
For me, it's less that dead reeds play sharp because they're dead and more because it's easier to bite a soft (dead) reed. I become conscious of two things when my intonation suddenly gets squirrely: (1) oh crap, this reed is dead and needs replaced ASAP; and (2) don't bite, don't bite, don't bite - corners in, jaw down.

I know that there are some on the forum who suggest practicing playing in-tune with too-soft reeds as an exercise to help cure a biting issue. Not that I'm calling you a "biter" (I'm guilty, though).

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny I just bought a box of 3s thinking the 2.5s might be starting to get too soft in general. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,431 Posts
Yep, the reed will affect how you are able to play in tune. I actually did not believe this until I got a tuner app on my phone and started using it in practice as well as gigs. Just now listening to a live CD of my main group and hearing how the trumpet is playing flat but I am pretty much centered, even on rides. You just don't always hear this stuff live which is why you should always record - you can do it economically with a Zoom.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,581 Posts
Yeah, Reeds become less consistent and bordering on unpredictable when they're old, worn out, and tired...just like us humans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts