Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few examples on youtube but not many. This kind of playing is usually mindless but sometimes it can be good. The style centers around high velocity atonal-like passages. Let me know where I can hear some. When it's done on the guitar is sounds like they are trying imitate a sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Yes!

Sometimes I feel stupid doing it. But you can get a crowd hootin and hollering with some really cliche pentatonic and minor pentatonic lines played up and down the horn.

Up into a big split tone altissimo.

Only works if you can actually here yourself.... Lol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,012 Posts
usually mindless, yes, when done by a player without chops. But as Wailer points out, not without its place to stir up a crowd.

Check out Steps "Smokin' in the Pit". Some of Brecker's playing qualifies as shredding IMO, but really good, masterful, purposeful and musical.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,135 Posts
Sure they do. I was shredding the other night at a jam. It kinda depends on the music and the circumstances and everything coming together just right. It's about honking and hollering, shouting and screaming. It's about playing hard and having fun.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shredding is pretty much "skating" and "bull****ting", but it sounds awesome on the saxophone, and the electric guitar!

:)
I'll bet it is great on sax. The shredding I like is where they take an interesting pattern and start moving up or down some interval (symmetrically) and you end up playing completly "out" in a really nice way. It's the resolution that really makes it work, IMO.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
I think maybe Kenny G shreds in a very politically corrrect manner.
oof....I am confident he does absolutely nothing of the sort.....:shaking2:

You hear it on a lotta instruments....guitar, sax, bass (electric), drums, harmonica, even keyboards to a degree (again usually electric)...not so much brass, they seem not to be the right axe for it...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
I liked it. He just needed some effects, and it would have fit right in.
Effects? What effects? So sax alone ain't good enough any more? :scratch:

(I wonder how folks in here woud fare in a blackout w/ no elecronics or backing music)

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
I liked it. He just needed some effects, and it would have fit right in.
Effects? What effects? So sax alone ain't good enough any more? :scratch:

(I wonder how folks in here woud fare in a blackout w/ no elecronics or backing music)
No, it's not good enough for fitting in with the genre he was playing. The genre he was playing cannot exist without electronic tools. If there were a blackout, it would be a different kind of music.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,135 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey everybody. This is my first time writing anything, so hope I got it right.
Yes, saxophone players shred. And like has been mentioned here on this thread, sometimes it fits, and sometimes it just sounds like somebody doesn't know what they're doing. Like it has also been said on this thread, chops make a difference. Listen to Ornette Coleman. His playing is outstanding, and yes, some would probably say it's shredding. The difference is Ornette has a statement to make. There's a beginning, a middle, and an end. It takes you someplace, and you're changed by it, and that is what's so great about music. It doesn't always have to have rules. In college, I was lucky enough to get to play with Kahil El Zabar when he did a clinic there. He did some small group arrangements that we played, then he had us solo, and it wasn't a structured deal at all. If he pointed at you, you stood up and played until he motioned to you to sit down. Was it shredding, or was it creative playing to fit a style that was being performed by the group? I don't know, but let me tell you, it was fun, and the music students in the audience liked it too.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I thought I had posted a clip of Dave Rempis on this thread, but it seems to have disappeared?

Anyway, how about Herr Brotz for some serious shredding??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts