Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Selmer ever create a silver plated SA 80 II? Have any of you ever had one silver plated?

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes they do. Look pretty much anywhere on the Internet – including the Selmer Paris website – and you'll see them.

I haven't personally owned a silver plated one, but the silver plated Series IIs I've tried at shops, festivals, etc. have always been good... but not different/better enough than a plain lacquer Series II to justify the price for me, though. The quality is most likely due more to the fact that it's a Series II rather than due to the plating/lacquer choice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
If you're looking for someone to do the deed, have your tech strip it and send it to Anderson's Plating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a silver plated alto. Very nice player

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've owned a silver plated series II bari for nearly 20 years. Best sax I've ever had on account of it being the only one :)

·
462 Posts
I have a S2 Tenor in original silver plate. S/N 499xxx. Doesn't play as well as my Mk6, SBA or Ref 54 tenors, all in lacquer. Might be for sale.
Dave

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
so as others have said there are many around and they seem to be more common in Europe ( or GB since that is part of Europe too :bluewink: ) than anywhere else! No need to have a regular one plated at great expense

·
462 Posts
so as others have said there are many around and they seem to be more common in Europe ( or GB since that is part of Europe too :bluewink: ) than anywhere else! No need to have a regular one plated at great expense
Don't start on my favourite hobby horse. Blue wink. (how do you get these emoty things to work)
Dave

·
38,837 Posts
go advanced :bluewink:

·
38,837 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine is in North America, but was purchased in Europe. Now that you mention that I remember being told the same thing. I Wonder how many silver plated series II baris are over here.

·
462 Posts
I'll hazard a guess that it is trhe only one in western Canada if not the whole of Canada!
Dave

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're looking for someone to do the deed, have your tech strip it and send it to Anderson's Plating.
This is what started it all. I want to get a bronze mouthpiece silver plated and so I contacted Anderson's. We then started talking about plating the whole horn. It's not cheap but not as expensive as I might have thought. They quoted approximately $750-850 to disassemble, strip, clean, and buff. And another $250-300 to do the silver plating, which includes the prelim step of copper plating. I would never go with gold but that quote was $5,500 just for the plating. I looked at prices from one other company and they were comparable.

We talked about the buffing step at length, I was concerned about the engraving being worn down. They didn't say that wouldn't happen, instead they mentioned the good engraver they use to clean up after buffing. I'm still a little off-put by that. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm imagining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts