Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a vintage horn over the internet, as I live in a place where there are very few vintage saxophones for sale.

I've found one at a very good price, but they say that several posts have been resoldered, and some dents removed from the bottom of the bow, the top of the body tube, and one on the neck.

Is this likely to have caused longterm damage to the horn? Or is it only impacting the cosmetic, and decreasing the value because of the "non-original" factor?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Almost impossible to give an accurate assessment without seeing detailed pictures or even better, "in hand". Having said that, I've seen solder and dent work that was fabulous and you could never tell there was any damage. Unfortunately (and too often), I've seen what I basically call "craptacular" solder jobs, where it looks like a hunk of snot disguised as solder. I've also seen some pretty bad dent "repair", leaving ripples, etc. So in your situation, it could honestly be either way. If you have any pictures, it would at least be a starting point for anyone here to give you a relatively solid assessment.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
If the horn is repaired properly, and the damage wasn't too severe, mechanically and tonally it shouldn't matter. It DOES impact the price that should be payed however.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
I have merged these two threads:

Swingbop please follow the rules and do not post the same topic twice, it will not help your post count. Neither will the short pointless posts elsewhere.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,947 Posts
Sorry, I'll check the rules about posting. I was just posting in two different places in order to maximise the people who might see it, because I am looking for legitimate responses.
Yes, please do read the rules, it is a condition of being a member here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost impossible to give an accurate assessment without seeing detailed pictures or even better, "in hand". Having said that, I've seen solder and dent work that was fabulous and you could never tell there was any damage. Unfortunately (and too often), I've seen what I basically call "craptacular" solder jobs, where it looks like a hunk of snot disguised as solder. I've also seen some pretty bad dent "repair", leaving ripples, etc. So in your situation, it could honestly be either way. If you have any pictures, it would at least be a starting point for anyone here to give you a relatively solid assessment.

Thanks for your response. Here's some pictures, any more information you can give me with these?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1X3dbTpWL34jn-26BWNaNmKe8N07U6qTL?usp=sharing

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Repaired dents and dings may not restore the position of tone holes, alignment of posts, etc. So its a risk, if it wasn't done properly. There's a cheap way, and there's the right way to repair. Most dont do the latter, unless its a really valuable horn. Also, necks seem to betray a repair moreso than a body, in tone and response changes before/after a repair. That said, if it plays good, and sounds good, it is good. Just confirm the return policy, and perhaps seek out a knowledgeable peer to evaluate it upon delivery.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The seller has adjusted the price to reflect this. They're asking $5,500 for a 1965 Mark VI tenor, that has had the aforementioned repairs done to it. Does that sound like a fair price to you?

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
The seller has adjusted the price to reflect this. They're asking $5,500 for a 1965 Mark VI tenor, that has had the aforementioned repairs done to it. Does that sound like a fair price to you?
Personally, there's absolutely NO way I'd spend $5500 on that horn. The neck looks all sorts of rippled-up and the bow is still out of round/flat in spots. To get those areas fixed, you'd need to find a GOOD saxophone tech and it would easily cost you a couple hundred dollars........to STILL take a chance on it being repaired well. The solder areas don't bother me too much. They're okay, but not great. It's the still existing dents/ripples that would turn me away. Again, this is just MY opinion!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Just as a reference point, I bought a Selmer Serie III that was in near mint condition for $2K less than that seller's asking price.

Even if you believe the Mark VI is the greatest horn ever made, is a beat up VI really that much better than a modern professional horn in excellent condition? That's the question the market is posing to you and your answer is ultimately what matters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
That is steep if it is a private seller. If it is a shop, I would hope there is an approval period on it.

There remains the question of whether the horn was overhauled in this process, or if it just had dent work done and still needs a lot of work (tone hole leveling, post alignment, repad, etc.).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That is steep if it is a private seller. If it is a shop, I would hope there is an approval period on it.

There remains the question of whether the horn was overhauled in this process, or if it just had dent work done and still needs a lot of work (tone hole leveling, post alignment, repad, etc.).
Thanks for your input. The seller (a dealer) says "It had a high end complete overhaul, which means fixing everything, key work, mechanics, all pads corks and felts, a thorough neck fit and setup." There is also the option to return, with no restocking fee, but since I live far away I would still have to pay a decent amount in shipping. If you don't mind answering another question, what would be the top dollar you would pay for that horn, if you were buying it, all things considered?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
Thanks for your input. The seller (a dealer) says "It had a high end complete overhaul, which means fixing everything, key work, mechanics, all pads corks and felts, a thorough neck fit and setup." There is also a the option to return, but since I live far away I would still have to pay a decent amount in shipping. If you don't mind answering another question, what would be the top dollar you would pay for that horn, if you were buying it, all things considered?
I wouldn't buy it. I know some people have a fondness of "beater" horns, but I'm not one of them. I played Selmer tenors for 20 years or so, but have moved on to other horns. I think the market for Mk VIs is silly and don't care to pay to play. Again, just my opinion.

For $5500, I bought this horn: http://www.barnardrepair.com/tenor-saxophones-for-sale/king-super-20-tenor-saxophone-320xxx

That is just to say that when you are willing to spend $5k, there are a lot of great options - no need to compromise.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
That horn is hardly a beater horn. The dents that I see are tiny. What is striking to me is that people have come to an opinion on the very limited photos posted. You need about 10 more pics. You haven't even seen the whole horn. I would be more concerned if that is all the photos that you have been shown. There is no way to come to any opinion on that neck based on that one photo. People will always chime in that they found some great deal in the past and therefore whatever you are looking at couldn't possibly be worth it.
You have to look at a bunch of MkVI tenors on Ebay over an extended time to really know what the market price is. Do you have a good tech near you? What would a full overhaul cost you?

As far as dents go there pretty easy to remove. That one in the body tube would be no problem. The flat spots on the bow guard are hard. However is the bow out of round. That is the important question. Looks pretty good to me.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I'm fond of beaters but they've run me a few hundred dollars at most. Assuming the overhaul was accomplished, you still have what appears to be a relacquered Mk6 needing dent work. As pointed out, the bow is still flattened and the guard is compressed. It might need a new guard and you don't know what is beneath it.

A good negotiator might pick this horn up for under $4000.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm fond of beaters but they've run me a few hundred dollars at most. Assuming the overhaul was accomplished, you still have what appears to be a relacquered Mk6 needing dent work. As pointed out, the bow is still flattened and the guard is compressed. It might need a new guard and you don't know what is beneath it.

A good negotiator might pick this horn up for under $4000.
Thanks for your input,

It is original lacquer, though it has faded. I didn't send all the pictures, but the seller says it has been completely overhauled and is playing perfectly. I'll take on board your price recommendation though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts