Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there other brands than selmer who tried something new? I mean like the high G key and the low A key on the alto's. Has yamaha or yanagisawa or some other brand did something like this ever? And are there other special things that selmer has done? (In construction)
thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
I know of some brands that have done high G's and stuff cant remember them at the top of my head but if I do I'll post back

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You don't need high keys. I almost never use the high F# key- the altissimo fingering(s) sound better! I tried a MKVI alto with a low A one time, and it sounded stuffy, as well as serious intonation problems. I think the saxophone is just fine, as is, IMO.BUT, You never know!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Cannonball experimented with a high G alto and tenor early on, but abandoned them.

There is rumor that Selmer offered the Low A option on tenors in their catalogues or pamphlets, but I suspect that was not in actuality true (meaning not offered for tenors, unlike the altos in which it was offered)..I suspect that the low A option for tenor was an editing mistake and was probably lumped in with the Low A alto option by a copywriter who didn't know horns.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Leblanc had its Rationale series. Selmer not only offered but actually made low alto's. (I've heard tell of a few tenors actually being made but never saw one). Cone used a G# trill key. I think there are some horns with additional octave vents (I suspect for better intonation in parts of the range but some have suggested its for altissimo.

I have an idea for a quartertone adaptation if I can find a maker interested in attempting it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
I have an idea for a quartertone adaptation if I can find a maker interested in attempting it.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have a student that already has that down without any bells or whistles....:shock: :cry:

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Yeah, well we got plenty of folks running around out here with Joe Maneri's microtones too (72 notes per octave). It's just a tool and might be slightly more useful than the useless high F#, or not. I just would like to try my theory sometime. (And I already have my own set of fingers for most of the microtones in 1/8's. Joe's class is quite amazing, actually).

Thanks for the tip though.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,505 Posts
sideC said:
Yes, but is it ANNEALED????
Or plastered .. I mean Hand hammered.

Buffet had high G on their sopranos in the mid/late 70's
and their weird tilting keywork of the S1s

1920-30s horns had those RH G# trill keys
and those Leblancs with all the alternative fingerings all over the place

1 - 10 of 10 Posts