Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need earplugs when I practice ? I play the alto sax at home and my girl said that its loud . So should i wear earplugs or only when on gigs

Thanks

Doug

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Sounds like she should wear earplugs:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Your girlfriend may be trying to tell you something else... Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
....hey its NOT a dumb question!! if you have a ringing in your ears after practicing #1 dont blow so loud!! #2 sure...earplugs are a good idea... until you get used to backing off a little while practicing!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
LOL..

I would think if your practicing at normal volume levels no hearing damage is going to be done, if your still concerned go ahead use them, it won't hurt. If you're really concerned about long term hearing damage don't use and Ipod or other MP3 player with in the ear headphones, those thing will make you deaf...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Sorry for the flippant answer. It's been my experience that your comfort level tells you when you are deafeningly loud, but that same experience got me flight disqualified in the Air Force. Amp'd rock bands and loud drummers did me in. Irreversible 20db hearing loss in one ear and 10 db in the other. Wear the earplugs.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wear the plugs or get a mute for the sax.

The sax is loud by design. That was one of the points in its design.
You could use a less hot mpc and play softer. But that wont help you to be prepared for life sax playing with a band or ensemble.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...playing with full sound and control at low volumes does prepare you for playing with loud bands!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
Lol ok I am really a flute player by trade so its a learning experience !
You'll still hear yourself fairly loud when playing saxophone with earplugs because of the internal vibrations which will also give you a distorted perception of you tone, it's very different on flute.
I use musician's earplugs on certain gigs and rehearsals but never for practicing.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
It really depends the size of the space you practice in and where you position yourself from the walls. Practicing with earplugs is good for getting used to play with them, but IMO not so good for working on your tone, projection etc.

Find a wide open space.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,244 Posts
Use them, Always.

My opinion, my doctor's opinion and many professional musicians advice: use earplugs.

First, you have to get used to them, so at the beginning, you may suffer a little. Then, you will really love to know you are saving your hearing for the future and many more years for playing.

Anything over 90 dB is harming. The saxophone can deliver more than that. If you practice you can play then with a plugged band you cand play with the same acoustics you are used to.

When you have your ear damaged, the damage starts to accumulate on that in it is almost irreversible.

Not funny as you start using them. But my advice is to get them soon.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Get custom made ear-plugs. They're not terribly expensive and will be far more comfortable in your ear for extended periods. They also have a flat frequency response, meaning you don't lose the high end. Everything is equally brought down 10db or so.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,202 Posts
I've been wondering about this too because when I practice my Conn 10M tenor in my studio room it is frickin loud I'll tell you and I just use a 7* hard rubber link copy mouthpiece. I've always been told I had a loud sound for a regular sized guy with limited lungs but this thing can get ridiculous loud so I feel like it could damage what hearing I have left. I'm thinking of trying the custom plug thingbecasue the regulars ones sound weird.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
I've been wondering about this too because when I practice my Conn 10M tenor in my studio room it is frickin loud I'll tell you and I just use a 7* hard rubber link copy mouthpiece. I've always been told I had a loud sound for a regular sized guy with limited lungs but this thing can get ridiculous loud so I feel like it could damage what hearing I have left. I'm thinking of trying the custom plug thingbecasue the regulars ones sound weird.
The custom ones will sound weird too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
Re: Use them, Always.

Anything over 90 dB is harming. The saxophone can deliver more than that.
Don't stand in front of your horn when you play. :twisted:

If you play in a small space or against a reflective wall, it'll be LOUD. If you play outside, it'll sound (to you) like the sound is getting sucked from your horn.

To paraphrase Duke Elllinton, "If it sounds loud, it is."

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
No they won't. IF, you get decent quality.
The sound coming from an exterior source will sound about the same, just quieter but there's still the problem of hearing more of yourself through your teeth and skull. Custom or not, it sounds weird to play wearing them.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...actually the main reason singers and horn players rebel against earplugs is because they FEEL wierd....we ar using many muscles around the ear,and actually using the ear muscles as well ...so the plug is often moving....thats why i dont bother spending money on custom plugs because its still gonna happen...you just gotta get used to them...
I get the 10 dollar variety at the music shop that has 3 ridges going into the ear...you can choose the amount of noise reduction by how many ridges you stick into the ear...and beleive me Im always going for maximum!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts