Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my sax to play today I found there was too much resistance and it was hard to play, especially to control the sound at low volumes. It's been getting easier as I've been going down in reed strength, but I am wondering if using the softest strength reed, like a 2, is acceptable, because it looks like I need to drop another strength.

·
Registered
196 Posts
sounds like your facing could be jacked up. You're finding relief in softer reeds for a while, but after you get used to that, it's still hard to play....so you go down another? i'd try a lamberson....but i'm biased.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,207 Posts
Buy as many mouthpieces as you can afford. Thats my motto. They all sound the same, and you go round in circles and end up liking the first one (the one you hated) again;)

Your Morgan 7M is quite a big tip opening? I hated my meyer 6m for a while, and went back to a selmer c* of all things, and found it much more free blowing. I am now pleased with my Jodyjazz HR5.

I experimented and got a lovely SR Tech. .85 legend, which has a huge tip opening for me. The sound is amazing, but I can't play it yet!! (I am ok for 10 minutes on it)

Maybe you need to ease off the tip opening, just in my opinion.....

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crazydaisydoo said:
Maybe you need to ease off the tip opening, just in my opinion.....
You are probably right. Perhaps I should have chosen a 5M or 6M. I suppose it can't hurt to be patient and try to get something a little more closed at the tip when I get the chance... because right now it's not too easy to play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts