Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Tenor Selmer MKVI (180xxx) that seems to have seen a really lot of serious playin' and with good reason, it's a KILLER horn.
When i got it i fell in love with its playability, tone, response, action...etc, and hasn't paid atention to how worn it was/is.
The first days i spend with it i started to realize that it really looked ugly, i even posted here some pictures (poor ones).
Now and with the help of a friend i have better pictures that shows more accurately how the horn looks.
My question is; do i have to be worried about those laquer wear, brown colored areas, small green spots, etc?...
I brushed the inside of the bell with one like this: http://www.irago.es/gestion/catalogo/fot/7-SalvaUnasVerde.jpg and succesfuly delacquered it with almost no effort.
Could someone also tell me about how much could worth this horn in the actual horns market?.(Pads are new, brown leather with solid silver flat resonators gold laquered, springs, corks and felts are in good condition)
Thanks!.:thumbrig:

View attachment 28086 View attachment 28087 View attachment 28088 View attachment 28084 View attachment 28085

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
hey man
knowing you, I'll just make this statement: how long has the horn been played before developing this "wear" ? how old are you? :bluewink: add #1Q answer to #2Q answer and that's how long you should wait since you got the horn until you really need to start worrying. :mrgreen:

play it until pieces fall off and then have it COMPLETELY rebuilt by a good tech. That's my 2 cents worth of advise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey man
knowing you, I'll just make this statement: how long has the horn been played before developing this "wear" ? how old are you? :bluewink: add #1Q answer to #2Q answer and that's how long you should wait since you got the horn until you really need to start worrying. :mrgreen:

play it until pieces fall off and then have it COMPLETELY rebuilt by a good tech. That's my 2 cents worth of advise.
I've been there before but, being pragmatic, it's not the kind of equation i use to rely on.I'll play it until it fall apart anyway, that's a wise advise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
if you mean wear damage because of the lacquer spotting, I'd definitely delacquer that horn during a full overhaul. That's what I'd recommend as far as metallurgy preservation is concerned.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,132 Posts
That horn doesn't look too bad. I've seen much worse Selmers. What you've got is really not "wear" in the sense that it was caused by handling too much. Lacquer can get like that even if a sax has been stored in the case. I would leave it as-is unless you have a job where the appearance of the sax is a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts